Chapter 2

"Pika Pikachu!"

"Come on, Pikachu. I can't see if you don't move!" Professor Oak complains.

"Come here, buddy," Ash says.

Pikachu stops pressing his face against the screen and hops back on Ash's shoulder.

It has been a couple of days since Serena made her decision to go back to Kanto with Ash to compete in the region's Pokemon contests, and today is the day they will be flying to the region. Right now, Ash, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie are video chatting with Professor Oak and Ash's mother, Delia, who are calling from Ash's house.

"Hi, Mom, professor," Ash greets happily, leaning his face toward the screen.

"Hi, Ash," Delia greets warmly.

"Have you been well?" Professor Oak asks.

"You bet. I feel great," Ash answers proudly.

Delia smiles in approval before turning to the rest of the group.

"Hi, Serena, Bonnie, and Clemont," she greets. "How have you all been?"

"Great," Serena answers with a smile.

"We're doing fine, thank you," Clemont answers.

"I've been having so much fun!" Bonnie says in a giddy voice.

"Mom, there are so many things I have to tell you about," Ash says. "Serena and I will be flying back later this afternoon."

"Good. We can hardly wait," Professor Oak says.

"Just promise me you'll be careful, dear," Delia says before turning to Serena. "Serena, I can't wait to meet you in person. I'm counting on you to bring my boy back to me safely."

"Don't you worry, Mrs. Ketchum. I'll bring him back safe and sound," Serena replies cheerfully.

"Good," Delia says. "And the rest of you, come visit Pallet Town soon. I'll make you a tasty meal."

"Yippee!" Bonnie shouts.

"Thank you," Clemont says happily.

"Alright, let's get packed," Ash says to Pikachu.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu replies.

"Okay, see you later, sweetie," Delia says before she ends the call.

"Alright, I'll help my dad get lunch ready while you guys pack," Clemont says. "It'll probably take about an hour, so better finish packing by then."

"No prob," Ash says before turning to Serena. "That should take us more than enough time to get ready. Right, Serena?"

"Actually, Ash, I already packed all of my things this morning," Serena says. "Besides, I promised my mom I'd call her before we go to the airport."

"Oh, alright," Ash says with a nervous chuckle. "Then I guess I better get going. Let's go, Pikachu."

"Pika, Pika," Pikachu replies while Ash goes up the stairs.

"Alright then," Clemont says before turning to Bonnie. "Bonnie, would you like to help Dad and me with lunch?"

"Sure," Bonnie says glumly.

Serena turns to Bonnie, confused by her sudden change in her demeanor before the little girl follows her brother. She wonders if Bonnie is suddenly missing Squishy again and possibly Greninja, too, after they both left with Z2 to destroy the remaining roots that still appear throughout Kalos despite Team Flare's defeat. The honey blonde girl knows as well as Clemont that Bonnie is not the kind of eight-year-old to be deeply sad unless she has something on her mind that involves someone she really cares about.