Ch. 48 Plan Failed

~Y/n pov ~

Tony leapt for Quill's arm, re-helmeting and leaving me and Peter to pull off the gauntlet.

"Hey, stop! Hey, stop! Stop! Hey, stop! Stop!" Tony yelled as Quill struggled in his grip.

Peter yelled, "It's coming! It's coming! It's coming!", the glove was slowly coming off his hand, " We got it! We got it.... !"

Suddenly, Thanos woke up completely, now well and truly furious. He head-butts Mantis, grabbing the cuff of the gauntlet just as it is sliding off his hand, causing me and Peter to stumble back, and then throwing Mantis away off his shoulders.

" Oh, God." I say as me and Peter jumped towards Mantis, getting her to safety.

Thanos kicks Drax off his right leg and into Nebula and Star-Lord, knocking them down. He yanks on the Crimson Bands holding his right hand to throw Dr. Strange far away, and swats away Tony and his repulsor shots. The remaining Guardians jump up and charge him again, but he fires a pulse of indigo energy at them that knocks the three of them completely unconscious.

Tony zooms back in, his nanite arm cannon manifested, and is head-butted to the ground. Thanos looks at him for a beat, then raises the gauntlet towards Titan's moon. Tony stares, aghast. Thanos uses a combination of the Power and Space Stones to shatter the moon's surface, then bring the debris down on the field of battle at speed. Tont powers out of the way but is caught by a chunk of moon about the size of a baseball field, slamming him into the ground. The Guardians go sailing into the air from the rebound.

The remaining Guardians and Avengers are dealing with the gravitic aftermath of dumping a large chunk of moon onto an unstable planet's surface. The unconscious Guardians are flying upwards uncontrollably, moon-chunks are still making fiery ballistic in-bounds, and random debris and massive rocks are floating in any possible direction. Peter is well-equipped to handle this physically, even if he's freaking out emotionally.

Peter webbed  Mantis, "I got you! I got you!"

" I'm sorry I can't remember anybody's names!" Peter says as I grab Quill.

The Cloak of Levitation sets Dr. Strange down on a relatively stable outcrop as Thanos extricates himself from rubble. The Sorcerer Supreme makes a few passes with his hands, producing the familiar golden magic filigree circles, and slams his hands down on the rock before him, invoking the Seven Suns of Cinnibus as a lightning-like effect of immense heat jumping from rock to rock until it reaches Thanos, sending him flying -- but he makes use of the erratic gravity to keep control and fire back a blast from the Power Stone.

Dr. Strange blocks the purple plume with a wall of Mirror Dimension, which he then pushes back at Thanos. It shatters around the Titan, who suctions the magic into a miniature black hole with the Space Stone, volleying it back at Dr. Strange. Just in time, Dr. Strange raises a shield and changes the dark energy into a swarm of aqua butterflies which return to their master.

Before Thanos can counterattack again, Dr. Strange levitates and invokes the Images of Ikonn, giving him arms like a Hindu deity before dozens of Strange replications rush away, forming a circular wall around a snarling Thanos. They call cast magical cords, wrapping around Thanos' torso, arms and hands; he struggles to close his gauntleted fist, and uses the Soul and Power Stones to discover the real Dr. Strange among the many copies, blowing the duplicates away and sending the singular Dr. Strange reeling. Reality and Space pull Dr. Strange forward, Thanos grasping him by the throat once in range. Dr. Strange grabs futilely at Thanos' hand.

"You're full of tricks, wizard." Thanos states.

Dr. Strange struggles, "No!"

Thanos  snaps the Eye off its chain, "Yet you never once used your greatest weapon." he crushes it in his bare hand, "A fake."

He throws Dr. Strange hard enough that Dr. Strange's head hits stone and he passes out.

Almost simultaneously, a red and gold device slaps into the palm of the Infinity Gauntlet, bracing the fingers open; and Tony makes a fast and hard entrance.

" You throw another moon at me, and I'm gonna to lose it." Tony sassed.

Thanos simply replied, "Stark."

"You know me?" Tony was confused.

"I do. You're not the only one cursed with knowledge." Thanos told us.

What knowledge? I'm confused.

"My only curse is you." Tony yells as small rockets pop out of his back and launch at Thanos.

"Come on!" Thanos yells.

The rockets all explode on target, momentarily shrouding Thanos in smoke. Before it clears, Tony pile drives into Thanos horizontally, using his single super-jet boot configuration. As he bounces off, he flips and sticks his landing, immediately re-configuring his boots into ground clamps for stability and his gloves into rocket-driven battering rams, punching Thanos into a ruined wall behind him.

Thanos shakes it off quickly, reaches forward and tears Iron Man's helmet off, revealing Tony's surprised expression before the suit recovers automatically and re-forms his head protection. The Titan makes use of the fractional delay and punches back hard, sending Iron Man sliding meters away, giving Thanos time to rip the brace device off the gauntlet. He immediately uses the Power Stone to stream furiously lambent energy at his opponent, who forms a shield to kneel behind just as instantly, getting pushed back even further by the incredible force.

Tony slides out from behind the shield, letting the angled energy push him away for a faster start, and whips back to Thanos full thrusters; he kicks at the Titan with his left foot, turning the boot into a ground clamp at the same time to pin the gauntlet, and keeps twisting while his left glove becomes a ram again, slamming into Thanos' face, cutting his cheek.

~*~
_____________________________________
995 words