⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The music in the background stopped. "What's wrong?" Nina's voice was deadly serious.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I don't know yet, but I think I need to go to the hospital." Wren's teary eyes glanced around the room as she swallowed a lump in her throat. "I have really bad cramps and I'm bleeding. My period was two weeks ago, there's no way it's starting again."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A rattle of keys came through the mic. "What else is hurting?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Um- I'm really nauseous. I haven't been able to keep anything down since this morning." Wren tapped her foot against the wooden floor, holding her stomach with her other hand.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Alright, I'll be there in two seconds." A horrendous sound came through the mic, reminiscent of a hurricane. Boots hit the floor behind Wren, and the call disconnected. "Hey, let's go." Nina took one look at her friend and her face dropped in worry.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren was pale, her hair had been thrown up into a messy ponytail and she was wearing a huge hoodie and sweats.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You haven't eaten today?" Nina clarified.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren shook her head. "I haven't really eaten much in the past few days, I've been kind of sick."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Nina disappeared and reappeared in a flash, holding a pack of saltines in her grip. "Alright, let's go." With one hand on her friend's back, she guided her down to the garage. Wren's figure felt shaky against her palm.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Thank you," Wren said as Nina buckled her into the car.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Nina smiled at her. "No problem, silver."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The coven house was quiet. Candles flickered all around, illuminating the room in a warm glow. It was late, and most of the coven was asleep.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Alexei sat at the counter, munching on a box of goldfish crackers. His soft hums echoed around the kitchen. It was lonely without his sisters. Not long after Wren left, his younger sister Haven had followed.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And thus he was left alone with Valentine and Visily, both of whom were more interested in honing their magic than focusing on their family.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀His phone, which was sat on the counter next to him, began to buzz. It nearly vibrated off the counter before he could grab it, but he managed to snatch it up just in time. Pressing the green button, he answered the call. "Yeah?" he spoke with a sigh.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He hadn't even bothered to check the Caller-ID beforehand.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The quiet, shaky voice on the other end came forth as a whisper. "Klaus."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Alexei sat up in his seat. "Haven?" he questioned. "Are you okay? Where are you?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A small sniffle came through the line before the call ended.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The middle Romanov pulled his phone away from his ear, staring at it as if it was made of gold. He hadn't heard from his sister in what seemed like forever. Scrambling up, he shoved his shoes on his feet and grabbed his jacket on the way out the door.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She was trying to warn him about something, and he would find out what it was.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sat nervously in the waiting room, shifting in her seat. Nina was up at the counter having a very in-depth argument with the secretary. She was making them wait because there were people ahead of them.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Finally, Nina leaned across the counter and looked the woman straight in the eyes. "Get us a doctor, now," she compelled her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The woman, in a daze, nodded and stood rapidly. She walked off quickly, her heels making clicking sounds as they hit the linoleum floor.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren shook her head at her friend. "You didn't have to compel her."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yes I did, she was being a bitch."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A laugh erupted from the pale witch. "You're ridiculous."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You love me though." Nina leaned back in her seat with a smug smile on her painted-red lips.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah, I do." Wren grinned back at her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Wren Romanov?" A man in a white lab coat entered the waiting room. "We're ready for you." He looked slightly disgruntled, but he was handling it with grace.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren stood, holding on to Nina for support when stars appeared in her eyes. The saltines hadn't helped much with how light-headed she felt after barely eating in days.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He led them to a room down a pristine hallway, having Wren sit in an odd-looking chair next to a monitor and some equipment. He pulled up her chart, reading over it. "So, from the symptoms you've described, I have to ask... are you sexually active?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren found the question odd. Her face turned a pale shade of pink, but she nodded.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Okay, and what about contraceptives? Have you been using condoms, birth control of any kind?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren was starting to get nervous. She didn't think she would need any of those. Klaus was a vampire, for heaven's sake. He was, for lack of a better word, dead. He's not only a vampire, that little mocking voice in her head spoke. Her lips parted, tongue darting out to wet them. "No," she spoke quietly, "I'm not."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The doctor shifted in his seat, frustration evident on his features. "You're twenty-one years old and you've no idea how the human body works?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren's features tightened. "I'm perfectly aware of how the human body works, I didn't think I would need any of those things, given that my boyfriend is infertile."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The doctor's eyes widened slightly. He silently looked back down at his chart. "I'd like to perform a urine test to determine if you're pregnant, if you don't mind."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sighed, looking to Nina. It was impossible.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was impossible, right?

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sat nervously in the chair as the doctor went to go retrieve the results. Minutes passed by agonizingly slow. "How do you think Klaus will take it, if I'm pregnant?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Nina was quiet for a minute. "He'll be shocked, for sure. He's been a vampire for over a thousand years, I'm sure he hasn't thought about children in a long time."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren nodded and looked down at her lap. She wondered if he'd be happy, or angry. She lay a hand against her stomach. She hoped for the former. She didn't know what she would do if he didn't want it.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The door creaked open, with the doctor walking in with a piece of paper. He looked at Wren. "Congratulations," he announced with a smile, "you're pregnant."