「xxxix」

39 | back to business

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀THE PEARL SUV PULLED INTO THE GARAGE OF THE ABBOTOIR, slowing to a stop. The engine quieted, leaving silence in its wake.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren sighed, wiping the sleep out of her eyes. "Welcome home," she murmured sadly to herself. She'd had a good time with Klaus, despite the interruptions. She liked being alone with him, liked the intimacy of it.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus cupped the back of her neck in his hand, pulling her toward him to press a kiss to her forehead. "We will do that again, love. I promise."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren smiled a bit, nodding. "Good." She opened her car door, sliding out. Her cheap flip flops hit the ground with a slap, clicking against her heel with every step. She left her suitcases in the car, deciding to get them in the morning. She just wanted to sleep.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus was out of the car in a flash, sweeping his little mate off of her feet. "Are you hungry, love?" He held her bridal style as he walked out of the garage and into the stone courtyard.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren shook her head sleepily. She wound her arms around his neck, linking her hands to help support herself. "Let's just go to bed," she whispered.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"As you wish, sweetheart." He flashed them up to their bedroom, laying her tired form on the bedsheets. She sat up to strip off her sweatshirt, sighing. New Orleans was hot.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus moved to the windows, pulling them shut. There was a panel on the wall next to them, where he turned on the air conditioning that he'd had installed while they were gone.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren could've died in relief. She'd been waiting for air conditioning for weeks. Throwing her herself back, she spread her arms out with a big sigh.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus smiled. "Comfortable, darling?" he eyed her figure, smirking widely at her position.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren moaned, nodding tiredly.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus stripped and got into bed, cuddling up next to his mate.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren resisted the urge to pull away. His skin was way too hot for her right now, but she suffered through it for the sake of being close to him. A small smile curled on her lips as she listened to his breathing. "You're going soft," she whispered with a smirk.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus grinned, glancing down at the top of her head. He rubbed his hands down her back, feeling her soft skin beneath his fingertips. "I wouldn't say that, darling."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren hummed, rubbing her palm across his chest. His skin was flawless. "It's true," she murmured, rolling over to put her chin against his ribs. She looked up at him smugly. "You're different than you were. Calmer, sweeter."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus contemplated her words. "Only for you. You calm the beast inside of me."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren closed her eyes, her cheeks tinting red. A comfortable silence settled between them, and soon, the two were fast asleep.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren woke to her phone buzzing on the table beside the bed. Groaning, she squeezed her eyes shut and reached over, grabbing the device with all the aggression she could muster.