But my outlook is much better now... Absently, I gazed across to the set wall, where the glowing Good Day logo hung. It had taken numerous edits to get the scarlet colouring just the way I wanted it, and the way the text bent upwards at the edges, it appeared as though the image was emulating a smile – with a cute tooth gap.

"Evi?" My producer waved to bring me back to the moment. "Are you ready for the announcement?"

I inhaled deeply. "I am, thanks, Jake."

"You'll be brilliant." My friend smiled at me, still a cheeky miner boy at heart. He stepped out of shot and gave me two thumbs up. I was so glad he'd moved to the city just before we launched the show. I'd brought him on board as a production assistant, but he'd flourished quickly and was now running the show most days – in between dating almost every single woman in Sydney.

Joel was still working at the mine; he'd started seeing a local in Kalgoorlie, a sweet sassy girl who kept him busy and happy. The two guys Skyped most days and flew out to see each other regularly. They might have been living with a country between them, but they'd be friends forever.

That's the thing about true friends, I heard that familiar voice say. It doesn't matter how much time or distance separates them, their souls will always remain linked.

Matt appeared behind Jake, on his way up to the studio above mine for his shift. I blew him a quick kiss and he mouthed, "Good luck," to me, his striking face alight with anticipation.

As the broadcast went live again, I centred myself and prepared to deliver the most important information of my career. "Hi, everyone, welcome back. If you watch Good Day regularly, you'll know we love to laugh and bring you the best in fun and lifestyle. From Shelley's hilarious video blogs, to Imogen Sak's fashion advice, we're all about life, love and health.

"But we're also about equality. Body size, skin colour, disability, sexual preference – we embrace everyone here, and we're unafraid to dive into serious places if we need to. Today, I'd like to raise an important issue, one I hope you'll help us with."

Leaning forward, I spoke through the lens, as if I was speaking directly into the hearts of every viewer. "We believe in freedom of choice in Australia. We talk a lot on this show about our everyday choices to be happy – imagine if someone else controlled your right to access something that made you truly happy.

"It could be as simple as cheese. Cheese makes me happy, but if someone told me, 'No – you're not allowed to have cheese, Evianna, because I don't like cheese,' I'd get mad pretty fast."

"Let's take it up a level; imagine that you were no longer allowed to go outside during the day, because somebody else thought the sun was evil. Imagine that the government told you all church would be banned, because they didn't believe in religion. No one should be allowed to control your access to happiness that doesn't case harm."

I spoke from my soul, letting the words flow. "But that's exactly what's happening in Australia right now. We consider ourselves to be a freedom-loving, enlightened and intelligent nation, but same-sex marriage is still illegal. We need to ask ourselves why.

"Is it because we're all actually homophobic? I don't believe that; a recent poll found that 72 per cent of Australians want same-sex marriage legalised. The problem isn't our opposition to this topic – it's that we haven't yet raised our voices."

Standing up proudly, I said, "Here at Good Day, we are launching a new movement, 'Right To Wed,' and I'm inviting all of you to join the cause. It's not good enough to 'not' oppose issues – we have to speak up! If you knew a child was being abused, you wouldn't just 'not' approve – you'd act. It's the same case here. There are people in our country being denied a simple right to something the majority of us take for granted. Now is when we cry out for change.