Chapter 8

It is a typical Monday morning and Cody is at the precinct way too early. She is even earlier than Amy, which never happens. While waiting for everyone to arrive though, Cody gets a lot of paperwork done. Most of it is from the cases she has been working with Rosa. Over the past few weeks that Cody has been working at the office, her and Rosa have bee doing just about all of their cases together. 

Finally, after what feels like hours, Amy arrives at work. She comes out of the elevator and walks into the bullpen, noticing Cody sitting at her desk. Panic washes over Amy's face as soon as she catches sight of her friend. Amy instantly rushes over to Cody's desk. 

"Am I late?" Amy asks. "Where is everyone else? Why are you here so earlier? You know it is a Monday, right?" 

"Relax Ames." Cody says with a little laugh. "You're on time...in fact you are still earlier. No one else is here yet besides me. And yes, I am aware that it is Monday and it is way too earlier to be here. I just had to finish up paperwork though."

"You mean paperwork from the cases you are working with Rosa?"

Cody nods.

"Well, I don't want to sound rude," Amy starts.

"But," Cody says. 

"But have you ever thought that maybe Rosa is only partnering up with you on these cases so she doesn't have to do paperwork?" 

"What? No. Rosa always helps out with paperwork." 

"When she is here. But you come in earlier a lot of the time, and you put in extra time on the paperwork."

"It's fine Amy, it works out in the end."

"I am just saying! I don't want her to just use you."

"I'm fine, I can handle myself." 

"Okay, okay. Sorry."

"Why are you sorry? You're just worried, although I am not sure why entirely."

"Well, it's just that I once had a partner who would always make me do the work. He would come into work after me, do the paperwork poorly so I would redo it and then just start doing it myself and he would get out of work as soon as it was time to leave."

"Sounds a lot like Jake." Cody laughs, as Jake strolls out of the elevator holding at stack of papers. 

"Amy!" He says, going over to Amy.

He hands her the giant stack of papers and smiles at her. 

"So, I finished off that paperwork from our case last week." Jake says. "The only problem is that I might've made one...or two...or a million spelling errors!"

"Yeah he wasn't the partner I was talking about, but he is starting to become that partner." Amy says, while Cody laughs a little.

"What?" Jake says, half confused. 

"No reason." Cody says. 

Jake just rolls his eyes as he goes to sit at his desk, Amy following his lead and going to sit at her own desk. After a few seconds, Jake turns around in his chair to face Cody.

"Oh, Cody!" Jake says. "Question for you." 

"Shoot." Cody says, spinning in her chair to face Jake.

"What's going on between you and Rosa?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I don't know. It's just you seem really close with her."

"Well, we are coworkers, and partners on a lot of our cases. So I guess we are pretty close, eh?"

 "So you've never hung out with her outside of work?"

"Well, I have. Whenever we go out with the squad we always hangout. You know that, you come too!" 

"That's not what I meant. I meant if you two every just hang out...together. Just the two of you." 

"Yeah. Why wouldn't we? She's cool and I am pretty sure we are friends." 

"Wait...have you been over to her apartment?"

"Yep. I managed to convince her to let me go over. She mentioned to me that she had a dog, and I wanted to meet her puppy. There was no way she was going to get out of it."

Jake lets out a loud gasp and Amy turns to look in his direction, looking up from her computer. 

"What is it?" Amy asks, unsure of what just happened.

"Cody...has been...to Rosa's...house." Jake says, sounding dramatic. 

"Come on Jake." Cody says. "It is not a big deal."

Actually it is!" Amy corrects. "Rosa barely likes people. And none of us have seen where she lives. How did you manage to let you go over?"

"I just begged her to see Arlo!"

"Yeah, nope. That doesn't work for anyone. Rosa would never make any exception like that."

"Wait, so what are you saying?"

"I am not even sure!" Jake says. "But Rosa must really like you. 

You have no idea. Coy thinks to herself as she tries to not smile or laugh about the situation. Just then, Rosa walks into the office and all eyes go to her. She notices that Jake and Amy turn to look at her and she makes a face to them, confused about why they are paying any kind of attention to her. 

"What is it?" Rosa asks. 

"Nothing." Jake says, his facial expression seeming to state the complete opposite. 

"Jake..." Rosa says, getting more serious trying to scare the answer out of Jake.

"Do you like Cody?" 

"She's cool."

"She's cool? Rosa, that is basically you confessing that you love her! Cody, take note of this!"

Cody smiles at Jake, finding it quite funny. She just nods, pretending that everything is normal. Rosa looks at Cody, as if she is asking permission to say something. Cody notices this and her expression goes blank. She never told anyone about her sexuality before, but this is Jake, her brother, and Amy! So, Cody shrugs, basically telling Rosa it is up to her. 

"If I say this, the two of you cannot tell a single soul." Rosa says to Jake and Amy. "Do you understand me?"

Jake nods. 

"Cannot tell a single soul, got it!" He says, smiling like a fool just happy that Rosa is going to tell him something! 

"I understand perfectly!" Amy says, wheeling her chair closer to Rosa. 

Eager to know what Rosa is going to say, both Jake and Amy get super close to her. They are excited to finally know something about their coworker, and are surprised that she is even going to tell them any kind of detail from her life! Finally, she speaks. 

"My life is none of your business." Rosa says. "And that's why Cody is my favourite; she keeps her nose in her business and does not bother to know mine. So, natural, I would want to hang out with her."

Jake and Amy are disappointed by what Rosa says, since it is not anything that tells them much about her life. They just shrug it off though and head back to their desks as Rosa gives Cody a small wink.

----------------------------

Hey guys! Sorry it has been a while. As some of you may know, my mental state is not the best right now. Writing helps me though which is why I managed to get this chapter done (but I did complete it very slowly...). Anyways, I hope you like the update. As always, feel free to leave me feedback and tell me what you guys wanna read! :)

Published: October 17, 2019