More Preptober

So yeah, I haven't been updating here because I've been mostly just planning stuff out in my head, etc. And also been really busy with a dance competition, editing Between Two Worlds, among other things. 

At any rate, I am alive. Just struggling to hold myself back from updating Aonachd before NaNoWriMo--unless you guys want me to...

Meanwhile, here's a few Fiangus snippets for you to enjoy. ^_^

~~~

The golden warmth of an early summer sun shone down from a brilliantly azure sky. A gentle breeze blew occasionally, carrying with it the sweet scent of heather. Fiona McCurragh inhaled it deeply and closed her eyes in deep contentment. Such moments of undisturbed bliss were rare and she relished this one as best as she could, marking in her memory the sights, smells, and sounds of the world around her. 

She was brought back to reality by a sudden rustling of the bracken near her, a sound not caused by the wind. 

Opening her eyes, and squinting against the brightness of day, she perceived that it was Angus McCladden, who laid down next to her, propped up on one elbow and smiling down her. 

 She smiled in response and closed her eyes again.

"Fiona," Angus murmured after a pause of silence between them.

"Mmm?" the lass hummed in reply without looking at him. 

"Fiona, do ye ever regret the past?" his tone was soft. 

She sat up in surprise. "Wha' do ye mean? I believe most of us regret at least one small part of our past, if no' more." Scrutinizing him closer when he did not immediately reply, she spoke in a low voice, "Yer a-thinking of Dafydd, are ye no'?"

A slight nod was his only response. Angus' eyes were elsewhere, gazing at the lonely hills around them. 

"Angus, there is nothing ye could hae done to save him... Stop beating yerself up about it. What's done is done."

"I ken all that--but that fact, however truthful it may be, does nothing to lessen the guilt; nothing to relieve the ache inside."

Fiona said nothing. 

He continued, "He was my friend and we trusted each other wi' our lives. And yet, I failed my oath; and now he is dead."

"'Tis nae yer fault."

"Och aye, it is!" he suddenly snapped. "I saw the spear coming towards him and I could do nothing to stop it. I--I was utterly powerless. I saw the spear pierce him through and the look of anguished pain and yet forgiveness on his face. He kent I couldnae hae stopped it... And yet he still forgave me..." his voice trailed off into silence. 

"We cannae change fate, Angus. Dafydd kent that. That is how he could forgive ye."

Angus stared at her in surprise, but said nothing for several moments. Then, "What if Dafydd's and my places had been exchanged? Would ye still say the same? Would ye still feel so calm about it?"

Fiona's glance towards him at this was dark, the depths of her green-gold eyes filled with sorrow. "I would hae nae choice but to accept it as yer fate and grieve yer passing as the loss of a friend and love."

Angus watched her, his jet-black brows drawn together. When he spoke again, he whispered, "Ah, Fiona! Do ye love me that deeply and truly?"

She looked up at him and flung her arms tightly around his neck, tears rolling down her pale cheeks. "Aye, Angus, and more."

He murmured something in reply, wrapping his arms around her tenderly and stroking the curling-red locks that tumbled down her back. 

~~~

The skies were grey. Bleeding grey. Torn clouds like tear streaks lay over the heavens, a wind blowing among the brown grasses of the dying summer as if in farewell. The moors were silent save for the wind. It was only early autumn and therefore was not so cold, but Fiona felt a slight, noticeable chill all the same. 

"Wha' are ye doing out here?" 

She whirled around to see Angus making his way towards her, his breath catching with exertion. 

"Angus, wha' is wrong?"

"Nothing; I only noticed yer were no' at the castle and wished to find ye."

"So ye made yer way across by yerself?" She cursed herself for having gone so far. What pain he must be in! 

"Aye," he said, though it was more in a gasp as at last he stood by her side and wrapped one arm around her waist, drawing her to himself. 

She rested her forehead on his shoulder and closed her eyes, feeling his racing heart slowly return to a normal pace, his breathing seeming more at ease. 

"I missed ye," he whispered after a moment of silence. 

"Angus..." Oh the guilt! "Could ye no' hae sent someone after me instead of walking all the way?"

"Nae, I wanted ye to myself. Besides, it's been months. Surely it shouldnae be as bad now. I--I pushed myself too far this time." He laughed, but the sound strangled in his throat. 

"Please," Fiona replied, looking into his deep blue eyes. "If ye love me, donnae push yerself so hard. I donnae want to come close to losing ye again." 

He smiled, reaching up and caressing her cheek gently with his finger. "I ken, my sweet. I willnae do it again if ye promise nae to wander off without telling me." 

She blushed, smiling nonetheless. "I promise." 

"Here." He let his arm fall and held up something in his hand, something she had caught sight of, but had forgotten to ask about. "This is fer ye." His gaze flickered shyly to meet hers as he held in his hand a rose. The outward petals were browning on the edges, but the vibrant color was still as fair as ever. 

She took it from him and inhaled its sweetly spicy scent. "It's beautiful!" She said in a hushed, almost reverent whisper. "Where did ye find it?"

"Does it matter?" He replied in the same tone. "I found it among the bushes yonder. There was a clump of them, but they were all dead. This was the last rose of summer... And I thought ye would like to hae it as it was pretty and ye are pretty." He broke off awkwardly and a blush colored his pale cheeks. 

She stood up on tiptoes and kissed his forehead. "I love ye, Angus. 'Tis a beautiful gift and very thoughtful too." 

He only smiled. 

"Shall we gae back?"

"If ye so wish, my sweet," he responded before kissing her. 

She laughed and kissed him back. 

~~~

There you go. T_T