5

>>>>

>>>>

It was certainly getting colder in New York as the city was filled with people running around the busy streets in coats and scarfs to keep themselves warm. I smile to myself as I walk into my new department, pulling my jacket closer to my body. I nod to my new coworker Anna and sit down at my desk, wrapping my hands around my warm cup of coffee as I wait for my computer to open. "So do you have any plans for the weekend?", Anna asks me from her desk in front of me. I perk up and look at her as I shake my head, "I'm afraid not", I smile sadly as I look down at my now opened computer. "Well I'm going to a small party tomorrow, would you like to come with me?"

"I wouldn't want to intrude and parties aren't really my thing", I tell her kindly. She shakes her head and sighs, "One party won't do you any harm, what do you say?!"

"I really shouldn't", I say again.

"Oh don't be such a party pooper, come on?!"

This girl was awfully persistent but nonetheless I nod my head slowly as she squeals in delight. What did I just agree to? I wasn't in the mood to go to a party with adults who didn't know their alcohol limits. That wasn't my scene and I'd much rather be at home, by myself, doing nothing.

I grumble quietly as I type on my computer, trying to get my work done. The last thing I needed right now was going to some crummy party with a coworker I barely knew. I didn't even have anything to wear. I could just show up in my jogging pants which would make a perfect excuse for me to leave early.

"Hey! Here's the address for the party. I'll see you tomorrow!", Anna squeals as she packs up her stuff. I look at the time and realize that it's already time to go home. As I'm heading to my car I look at the paper Anna gave me. Why did I get myself into these types of situations?

***

I ran around my room trying to find something to wear as I settle with a maxi dress and a pair of fancy sneakers. I wasn't trying to impress anyone and there was no way I was going to stand in a pair of heels all night. I grab my bag and head towards the front door, locking it behind me.

I grab the directions for the party out of my bag and drive slowly as I try and find the right location. I pull up to a huge house that was littered with cars. The music was loud enough for me to hear it from the safety of my own car. So much for a "small" party. I park a few blocks down and walk all the way back up to house as I walk inside. I would've knocked but no one would've heard me anyways.

I grab my phone and text Anna, asking her where she was. I push past people as I try and find her, occasionally receiving dirty looks from some of the people I nudged. I sigh as I get to the other end of the house, no sight of Anna anywhere. I grab my phone again when a text appears.

Anna:
Hey girl! I'm so sorry but I have to cancel tonight, something came up. Have fun at the party!

"You've got to be kidding me", I says angrily as I push past the group of intoxicated guests again. "Something wrong?", I hear someone say. I turn around, fighting the urge to roll my eyes at the person in front of me, "You again? Are you stalking me?"