While The Cat's Away

"If you had any doubts about whether Spider-Man is a menace or not, just take a look at this video sent by one of our subscribers," the balding reporter announced through the phone screen.

Peter could only watch in dismay as he saw himself swinging through Manhattan in his shredded costume- his blue underwear clearly visible to the onlookers and the camera. His worried eyes glanced toward the view count underneath, seeing the numbers steadily climbing into the millions.

"Is this the type of superhero you want your kids to look up to?" The reporter frowned. "One who streaks in public with no sense of shame?"

"How else was I supposed to get home?" Peter rolled his eyes with a hiss, clutching his phone even tighter.

"Don't be surprised if this perverted hero forgoes his boxers the next time around. I'm J. Jonah Jameson and thanks for watching. Be sure to like and subscribe." The man signed off with a smile.

With a heavy sigh, Peter closed the video and pulled up his messages. He didn't need a number count to tell him there were no new messages; he knew his inbox was drier than the Sahara desert. As he opened the messages between him and MJ, he felt his shoulders slump as he read the last conversation they shared. It had been over two weeks ago.

Before he knew it, his fingers were typing up a message. It was desperate; it was pathetic. He knew it was, but he was desperate and pathetic at this point.

"God, I sound so lame." He groaned as he read the message from top to bottom. But before he could hit send, his sneaker caught on the carpet as he walked into the classroom, sending him flying into the nearest desk.

And this desk just so happened to have a hot cup of coffee on top of it.

"Dude! What the hell!" The student shot up from the desk, wiping his hands free of the burning liquid. "You know how much that cost me?"

"S-Sorry," Peter stammered as he raised himself off the desk. He glanced down, seeing the mess he had made all over himself. His white shirt had a giant brown stain running down the front of it. The carpet beneath was quickly growing dark from the liquid that continuously dripped off the desk.

"Um, I'll-I'll go clean this up." He told the irritated student before running out of the class, not stopping until he reached the bathroom. Once inside, Peter grabbed a handful of paper towels and used one to dab the stain on his shirt.

"You look like crap," he muttered at his reflection. Dark circles enclosed his once-vibrant eyes, and he was pretty sure they were permanent now. His eyes were bloodshot-whether that was from crying or a lack of sleep-Peter had no idea. His brown curly hair looked limp and greasy, probably from the shower he skipped this morning.

Deciding to splash some water on himself and his shirt, Peter had just twisted the knob when it broke off along with the rest of the faucet. A jet of freezing cold water shot out, spraying him and making up for the shower he had missed.

Peter didn't come back to class after that.

**

"Hey," a soft voice said to the side of him. "Mind if I sit here?"

Peter raised his head from his arms, looking up to see Felicia standing there with a brown paper bag in her hand.

"Go ahead, but beware that I might spontaneously combust." He laid his head back down.

Felicia giggled as she took a seat. "Why didn't you come back to class? It's not like you're the first person to have tripped and spill someone's overpriced coffee."

"After the week I've had, I needed to get away," Peter mumbled, finally lifting his head. He watched as she pulled a wrapped sandwich out of the bag and tear it open with her red nails.

He must have been staring because she suddenly met his eye and said, "Oh, where are my manners. Do you want to try it?"

"What kind of sandwich is it?" Peter tilted his head, trying to get a good look at its contents.

"Avocado and tuna. Yes, I know it sounds gross, but it is really good!" Felicia started to break off a small piece.

"No, thanks." Peter waved his hand as she held it out to him. "I'm good."

"Alright then. You're the one missing out." Felicia shrugged before popping the piece into her mouth.

Peter let out a chuckle. "I don't think I'm missing out on avocado and tuna-" He abruptly stopped once the words left his lips, remembering where and when he had just seen that sandwich.

Could it be?

His eyes darted to her wrist, noticing the Apple watch decorating it. It was the same sleek, black watch Black Cat had taken that night.

As realization began to dawn on him, Peter shifted his eyes to the side and saw the designer handbag placed on the table. Beside the purse were a pair of designer sunglasses, ones Peter knew must have cost a fortune.

Unless they hadn't cost anything at all.

Peter did not know the salary of a TA, but he knew it was way below the paygrade to afford such luxurious things.

Clicking his tongue, Peter realized the clues had been in front of him all along.

MJ had been right all along.

"Peter?" Felicia lowered her sandwich. "Is something wrong?"

He shook his head, having to bite his lip to keep from grinning. "Quite the opposite actually. Everything's great!"

"Oh, it's just for a second, you looked upset." A worried frown crossed her face. How this woman could be the mischievous Black Cat was beyond him. It was like night and day between the two.

But then again, the same could be said about himself and Spider-Man.

"Nah, I have never been better!" He rose up from the table, unable to keep his smile hidden anymore. "I'll see you later!" Peter waved to her before rushing off across the lawn.

With a newfound skip in his step, the gears in Peter's mind started turning with anticipation.

For once, he was actually looking forward to a meeting with the Black Cat.