Esther's Phone Call

Start from the beginning

I blinked at her abruptness. "Uh—LA?"

"No shit!" she snapped, making me pull my phone away from my ear and give it an odd look to verify the caller. It said Esther, but it sure didn't sound like my mild-mannered happy sister.

"Esther?" I asked disbelievingly.

She sighed. "Sorry, didn't mean to snap at you. Or curse at you; that was awful of me. I guess I meant to say, 'hi Avi, how are you, and where specifically in LA are you?' "

I chuckled. That sounded more like her. A bit harried and tense, but much more, I dunno, Esther-like. "Hey. I'm doing OK. We're at the theatre, here in the hair and makeup area, having a bite to eat. Mitch, Scott, Kirstie, Austin, and Tim are in the showers. Our turn next."

She blew out a breath. "OK, good. You having fun and all?"

"Yeah." I grinned again, looking at Jessica, who'd managed to work a comb through Adam's hair. "With friends and getting ready for the show. Always puts me in a good mood. Oh, guess who showed up here in our doorstep the other day?"

"Who?!" she yelped, sounding like she'd overdosed on the catnip here. Great. Got a sober but drunk-acting Chance and a jumpy sister.

"You seem wound up tighter than a ball of rubber bands," I commented, earning a questioning look from Rob. "Esther. My sister. She's jumpy right now."

"What got her all wound up?" Kevin leaned forward to peer around Rob, ignoring Chance and his antics.

I shrugged. "Esther?" Come on, say something. Her silence was unnerving me.

Finally, she took a breath. "Avi, I'm—I—"

Pushing my sandwich aside, suddenly disinterested in my food, I leaned forward and spoke urgently into the phone. "Are you OK?" My heart pounded as I waited for her answer. If anything happened to any of my family, I was on the first plane out of here, show be damned.

"I'm fine." Esther sounded more sure of herself now. "We're all fine. I'm jumpy, I know I am. Been jumpy all afternoon. The neighbor's dog barked and I about had a heart attack."

I chuckled at that, Kevin, Adam, Chance, and Rob grinning and going back to their regularly scheduled dinners, Chance now wearing the drink bottle top on his head. "What's got you so worked up?"

"I'm not sure, Avi," she said seriously. "Think that's what's bothering me the most. I just can't put my finger... who'd you say showed up?"

"Jessica," I said happily as Jessica put the brush down and came up behind me, kissing the top of my head.

"Jessica?" Esther sounded surprised. "Wow. That's...bet you were glad to see her."

"Yes, I was," I had to admit, tilting my head back for a nose kiss. "Very pleasant surprise."

"I bet. Happy for you, Avi. I'm gl—ahhh!" she squealed. "Ugh. Dryer just kicked on."

"My God, Esther," I murmured, alarmed she was so alarmed—over meaningless stuff at that. "Try to relax, OK? Have a glass of wine or something."

"Thought's crossed my mind," she admitted. "But I don't actually want to drink here. Avi, um... I'm worried about you."

"Esther, I'm fine," I assured her gently. "No need to worry about me."

"Can't help it," she said softly. "I just am. Avi, it's New Year's Eve. People drink tonight. People get crazy and stupid when they drink. Please watch out for yourself, OK?"