Chapter Thirty Six

Beginne am Anfang

Dutifully peeling his carrots, Zac's eyes shifted sideways to Isaac. Although Isaac had initiated the temporary break, the fact he had to do so because Jenna's ex found somebody new wasn't sitting well with him. Isaac had no problems with Luke, he had spoke with Luke several times since taking the break with Jenna. Oddly enough, Jenna was avoiding Luke as well as Isaac. Zac had told Isaac to take that as a good sign.

Sitting his knife down and wiping his slightly carrot stained hands on a dish towel next to him, Isaac cleared his throat. "If you must know, Luke having a girlfriend is part of this. Jenna is a bit upset." Isaac answered firmly. "I know how Jenna can be and I didn't want to waste my time waiting around."

"It's good to take a break." Zac encouraged. "Well, if you go about it the right way. Trust me, if Brielle and I can come back after that disaster we had, you and Jenna will be fine."

"If you and Brielle can come back after that train wreck, nothing short of the world exploding can keep Ike and Jenna apart." Avery teased her older brothers.

"Avery is right." Zac noted with a slight laugh. Avery smirked, making a comment about how she was always right. Ignoring her additional comments, Zac kept on track. "If Brielle and I had actually taken a break, it probably would have been better for us."

Their past issues would still be easier to blame on Kate, but Brielle had asked Zac many times over to move beyond that. Yes, Kate had forced the hand a great deal, but she wasn't the one twisting their arms to end up the way they had. There had been days when Zac had felt that his marriage to Brielle was over and he would never get her back, now that they had managed to somewhat sort things out, he was glad he had never acted on those feelings and let her go.

If Jenna and Isaac were supposed to be together, then Isaac would find a way to get her back. Isaac, unlike Zac, would do it with style and would probably only make a quarter of the mistakes Zac had. Jenna, unlike Brielle, had a harder time to forgive and forget which would certainly make Isaac's task tricky. Luckily for both of them, Isaac didn't give up that easily. When pursuing Jenna, he knew what he was getting into.

"The point of this is, you'll eventually work things out before you know it." Diana encouraged with a smile.

Her children were adults now, however they were still her children and when they had their highs and lows it was always going to be her job to help them through. They had come together for a nice dinner, before her three oldest left for a few weeks, Isaac didn't need to worry about whether or not he'd get Jenna back at this very moment. He'd have lots of time to do that after her dinner.

Dinner seemed to drag on, Zac loved being with his family, yet he couldn't help feel a tiny bit guilty for leaving Brielle at home. He had called home four times while at dinner, the first and last time he spoke with Jenna. She informed him that Brielle was alive, although a bit sick feeling, his wife was going to live. Jenna had also mentioned that if Zac called again, she was turning off every phone in the house, Brielle had a headache and didn't need to be bothered by the phone ringing.

It was during his second conversation with Jenna that Zac had noticed Isaac seemed to be listening. It didn't look as though he was intentionally doing it, given the way Zac was speaking to the person on the phone Isaac had worked out who the other person was quite easily. Giving his brother a sympathetic glance, Zac continued his conversation. Before ending the call he quickly slipped in that Jenna really needed to talk with Isaac, not waiting for a lecture he hit the end call button and tucked his phone away.

When things in Brielle and Zac's marriage had gone sour, Jenna had been a help - not a lot of help, but some - it was only fair that Zac try to help Isaac get the girl back. Jenna had only been back a few days and Zac hadn't saw much of her, when he did he never let go that she really needed to work things out with Isaac. One way or another, she couldn't leave the poor man in such a state. Isaac was miserable, despite the front he was putting on. Was it so much to ask for a little happiness?