I Could Never Hate You

The autumn air was cool. The evening breeze that whipped through Marlena's brunette locks was comforting, but not comforting enough. Through the absence of her children, the funerals she never imagined she'd have to get through, and the thought of Bucky hating her, Marlena felt anything but comfort.

Marlena had been released from the hospital six days ago, and since then she'd attended a memorial service for Natasha, a funeral for Tony, and learned there was yet another possible location on her children. After spending the last three days in Russia and Sokovia following leads on the whereabouts of Charlie and Jay, Bucky, Steve, and Wanda had plans to head out once again in the morning. While Marlena wanted nothing more than to go with them, she couldn't. She had someone very precious to take care of, and that was what she planned to do. She trusted Bucky to bring them back more than anyone.

Bucky.

Marlena's thoughts wandered. She hadn't really heard from Bucky since he'd left the hospital, but she knew he'd been staying with Wanda. Wanda was his go-to whenever something went wrong, and she was always there to catch him if he fell. They were family.

As Marlena sat quietly overlooking the city, the balcony door behind her opened up. Bucky walked out, a bottle of bourbon in his hand, and he sat down beside Marlena. She looked at him and then looked at the bottle in his hands. A frown fell onto her face and she sighed, turning her attention back to the bright city lights.

"I'd offer you a drink, but..."

Marlena took a deep breath and listened to the liquid inside the bottle slosh around. He was hurt, incredibly hurt, and Marlena could feel it rolling off of him in waves. She hadn't expected him to be there, and while she was happy to see him, the circumstances weren't particularly ideal.

"What are you doing here?" Marlena asked him quietly, finally building the courage to look over at him. She could see his red eyes in the dim evening light and the flush of blood on his cheeks. He looked emotional.

Bucky looked over at Marlena, and a small smile pulled at the corner of his lips. "I came to see you, Marlena, believe it or not."

"I thought you hated me."

Bucky shook his head quickly and looked out at the shining lights of the city. "I could never hate you." He took another swig of his alcohol.

"I wouldn't blame you if you did," Marlena replied softly.

"Why?" Bucky chuckled. "Because you're engaged to my best friend?"

"Precisely."

"Believe me, I'm furious with both of you, but at the same time I'm not," Bucky breathed out and took another swig of his liquor. He was less than pleased by what he'd returned home to. He was thrilled to see Marlena again, but while no time had passed for him, five years had passed for Marlena. She found a way to move on, and while Bucky wanted to be angry because of it, he couldn't bring himself to be. Marlena was happy and that was all he ever wanted for her, despite his broken heart.

"Why not?"

"Because you had every right to move on, Marlena," Bucky said to her. "I'm sure after five years you didn't think I was coming back, so I prepared myself for the possibility of you being in a new relationship with someone else. I just wasn't aware that someone would be my best friend. That's what's really getting to me, I guess, but I still can't be mad. For five years Steve did everything I couldn't do for you—he took care of you, he protected you, he loved you, and he made you happy. That's all I've ever tried to do for you."