Just A Little Carsick

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

"Oh, god."

Marlena shut the car door and wiped her mouth with her sleeve. She buckled in and closed her eyes, not even bothering to pay mind to the eyes she knew was on her. She only felt sicker than she did the previous night, though the only difference was now she knew why. She wanted it to be flu season or even car sickness. Either way, she felt horrible, and she wanted nothing more than to lay down and sleep, but that wasn't possible when she was a hundred miles from home.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Natasha questioned the brunette. She watched her curiously, knowing whatever answer she was about to give was a lie.

"Just a little car sick," Marlena answered.

Natasha gave Steve a knowing look in the mirror and he sighed before taking off again down the road. He knew she wasn't okay, but he also wasn't as clueless as he took himself for. After pulling over for the third time, Steve knew there was something more going on with her than just being car sick, and Natasha's expression only confirmed that for him.

"Y'know, that peanut butter sandwich kind of made me feel sick last night," Scott said to those in the car. "Maybe you just have food poisoning."

"Maybe."

"Are you guys really gonna blame this on my peanut butter sandwich?" Natasha scoffed.

"It's better than blaming it on something else," Marlena breathed out and glanced back to look at Natasha.

"Oh yeah?" Steve looked over at her. "What might that something be?"

Marlena simply shook her head and stared out the windshield. She couldn't say those words. She wouldn't say those words. It was way too soon and way too complicated given everything that expunged just the day before.

"You could also be pregnant," Scott chimed from his spot beside Natasha.

"Oh, my god," Marlena muttered to herself.

"I'm serious!" Scott exclaimed and leaned forward in his seat to look at Marlena, who was more than content not sharing her gaze with anyone, especially Steve. "My daughter's mother was the same way before she found out she was pregnant."

"I really don't want to talk about this right now, Scott," she said to the man, her gaze still out the windshield.

Natasha and Steve had so much to say regarding the situation, but Natasha knew it wasn't her place, and Steve couldn't find the right words to say. Marlena very well could've been pregnant, but at the same time she could've been suffering from car sickness, though he seriously doubted it.