Epilogue || VIIII

He had been asleep for several days and when he woke up next, he was in a room with sterile white walls. He immediately knew it was the hospital.

His three best friends sit on the couch on one side of the room, Solemn looks on their faces.

" where is Roman?" He asked his mates.

they all looked up, sudden relief filling their faces when they saw he was awake. They have been worried he wouldn't make it, since many people have died on the train explosion. But Logan was one of the lucky ones.

"Logan..." one of his friends went on.

" just tell me how she's doing. She's okay now, right?" He cut him off with another question.

His friend side. He and the two other boys exchanged a few glasses before he responded again.
" she didn't make it. The ambulance didn't get to her in time."

" her family is in town. They've been waiting for you to wake up so that you could attend her funeral. They know how much she loved her." His friend added.

They all soul as the heart rate on Logan's heart monitor spent up. " she's not dead. I refuse to believe it. She is not dead." His breathing became quick and he shook his head side to side aggressively in denial.

"Go call a nurse." He said to one of his other mates.

He nodded quickly and left the room while the other to try to calm Logan down.

-

Logan had gotten permission from the hospital to attend the funeral, but his physical injuries weren't what for killing him slowly, it was the pain of having lost her.

He went through the entire funeral ceremony silently, without ever making eye contact with anyone.

The same group of friends that had been waiting for him to wake up in the hospital had gone with him for moral support, but there was nothing they could do to cheer him up. As they laid her casket in the ground her final resting place, silent tears streamed down his face. His eyes looked at a large portrait next to her tombstone

R.I.P.

ROMAN "Roe" Matulis
2002 - 2018
She was a kind hearted
Young woman, who filled
The hearts of the people she
Encountered with love

Long after the funeral was over, he remain there. He wouldn't leave her, he couldn't bring himself to do so.

His friends quite literally dragged him out of the cemetery when the sun went down and the temperature dropped dramatically.

-

The very next morning, his friends had went to his room to return him to the hospital. They knew he didn't want to go, but it was for his own good.

However upon entering the room, their face is filled with worry as they found his bed was empty.

On the nightstand was a single folded sheet of paper. They picked it up, unfolded it and read the last two stanzas of the simple poem :

" ardent words of love will return
to sound in resound in your ears ;
and your heart from the depths of sleep
perhaps will wake again ;

Put silent, absorbed, on bended knee,
as men worship God at his altar,
as I have loved you ... make no mistake,
Will not love you like that!"

-

Logan stood at the train station, waiting for the train. As he saw it approaching, he took a deep breath, and closing his eyes he took a step off the platform.

It was the last Thursday, and when he opened his eyes once more he saw her standing there.