Chapter 5: Into the Woods

Lavinia was struck silent, screams buried in the recesses of her throat as this massive, hairy creature grabbed her and took her away from the chase that ensued. Strapped to her back was the shotgun, but she was constricted by the hand-like paws that held the upper half of her body. It was a wonder she was still able to breathe, because its grip on her was so tight she felt her bones on the brink of breaking. As they furthered away from the trail and deeper into the dark, moonlit woods, Lavinia spurted out the first words she could speak in those dreadful five minutes.

"L-Let me go!" she blurted.

THUD!

With that, the creature dropped Lavinia onto the terrain. It definitely hurt, considering she had a shotgun strapped to her back. She winced in agony, before gaining the strength to stand up and point the firearm up at the creature. Her finger was on the trigger, but it was shaking just like her entire body at the sight of a twelve-foot, werewolf-like creature with pointed canine ears, razor sharp teeth which were bore to her in defense, glowing ice blue eyes that were menacing and apathetic, and claws on both the front and hind paws that dug into the earth beneath their feet. It reminded her of a dog looking to bark at something trivial. The growling pierced her eardrums, and the creature's snout moved closer to her. Lavinia cocked the gun.

"I'LL SHOOT!" she shouted.

RAWR! It roared.

Lavinia pulled the trigger, and made the creature fall on his side against the black, cool earth

Lavinia pulled the trigger, and made the creature fall on his side against the black, cool earth. Her eyes widened to see that she missed vital organs, and she was disturbed to hear a whimpering sound that was loud, guttural, and much like a domesticated dog in pain. It pulled at her heartstrings a bit, but then she remembered what this thing was. It may have been like a massive dog, but it was a dangerous creature.

"Why did you take me from them?!" she shouted.

The creature howled in such a way that it sounded like words wanted to escape its mouth. Lavinia shook her head and took a risk – she put the gun on her back and crossed her arms. She suddenly was unafraid of this perilous giant. It kept howling at her until she looked to see the glistening patch of blood on its fur vanished. She dared to move a little closer and reached her hand up. The creature seemed calm, and when she felt for a wound where she shot, she did not feel one. It was like the wound was never there save for the traces of blood. At this moment, the creature was sitting upright like an alert dog, its hind feet flat and near its front ones. Its blue eyes just looked down at her, a calm countenance on its face. Lavinia realized something and put the shotgun down next to her on the ground, putting her palms facing the creature to show she was not going to harm it or defend herself from it.

"You're not going to hurt me," she said calmly, drawing a conclusion. "If you did, you would have by now."

The werewolf-like creature laid submissively on its front much like a domesticated dog, and listened to every word, even though it could not communicate to her like she was.