Chapter 1: Four Hours Away

"Dad? Are you really sure you want to drive me four hours just to stay at this camp?"

Lavinia had landed a phone interview with the head camp counselor, and with written consent and a special form filled and mailed out by Ralph, she was hired in the two weeks from receiving the brochure. The camp counselor position paid about double the minimum wage for the time, $7.50 versus $3.50 for most menial jobs, which made Ralph proud of the fact his only daughter was making more money than other kids would be at her age. Lavinia was conflicted about working a summer job so far away from home – it was more of a perceived inconvenience than the possibility of homesickness for her. After all, she had spent a lot of her life as a lone wolf anyways even under her father's guardianship. School had just ended for the year, and she was stuck in that awkward phase between junior high and high school. That only added to the pressure.

"I'm not driving you the entire way," Ralph told his daughter as he stood in the doorway. "Remember, you're going to the aerobics center to meet some of the other counselors."

Lavinia rolled her eyes. She had been preoccupied with finalizing her suitcase packing, "how are we getting there?"

"Bus, probably. That is what Miss Booth said on the phone. Apparently, there was some arrangement made," Ralph said.

Lavinia, zipping around her dark brown, heavy suitcase, took a glance over at her father and noticed he was as pale as a sheet of paper, and his black hair was somewhat messy with oily sweat in the strands. She had noticed when he started to stand there that he smelled funky; if she had to describe it accurately, it would be like the smell of rain mixed with a metallic odor. It reminded her of a wet dog, but it was not as strong as that. She also noticed he was dressed sloppier than usual – a plain, earth-tone t-shirt with joggers and sneakers. She sat on top of her suitcase as it rested on her bed and looked at him.

"What?" Ralph noticed his daughter staring at him.

"You look like shit. Are you okay?"

"I'm just not feeling well. Don't worry about me." He paused. "Also, watch your language. I thought I told you that."

"I just don't see why I have to be sent four hours away just to work a stupid summer job. Why can't I get something here in town? Like... a waitress or something? Or a watergirl for the sports teams?"

"Because I said so," Ralph said impulsively. "You need to get out there more. I...I first left New York for college, then I went back there for med school, and you were born there... remember we came to California after mom left?"

Lavinia nodded, looking down: "yes."

"Because... w-we needed to escape our comfort zone. You need that now in your life."

"Again, though?"

"Never get used to things," Ralph advised. "Life can change within a mere second, and you will not know what hit you." He looked at his watch. "Oh, it's quarter of nine. We should go."

He left the room, and Lavinia took her suitcase off the bed. When she did, she heard a slight clattering sound, like metal hitting the floor. She looked down, putting the suitcase face up on the floor rug and saw that she had dropped the pendant she had planned to take with her to Camp Redwood – it was the heirloom Orthodox-styled crucifix that had been passed down to her from her great-aunt after her death four years before. Her own father wore one most times under his clothing, and there were at least three hanging up in their humble abode. There was no Orthodox church nearby to attend mass, but Ralph was adamant with Lavinia to say prayers before bedtime.

 There was no Orthodox church nearby to attend mass, but Ralph was adamant with Lavinia to say prayers before bedtime