Chapter 4: Turn Around

Ralph had been driving for two hours in the rain. He peeked at the clock on his dashboard to see it was approaching 1AM. He felt an all-too-familiar, horrible feeling in his chest and head, but lucked out when he saw what looked to be a gas station on the side of the road. It was seedy and rustic, and he got out immediately, walking up to the garage where he saw a man with a gaunt face and dark hair putting away what looked to be tools in their rightful places. Ralph waved at him, and the man, Roy, looked back at him.

"I closed down like four hours ago," Roy stated. "Anything I can do?"

"I just... n-need a bathroom, and some gas, if you please. It's an emergency," Ralph replied earnestly.

"Gas I can do, but it will cost you."

"I... I'll need a m-minute," Ralph said. "Where is the bathroom?"

"Toward the back," Roy pointed toward the back of the garage where he worked.

"Thank you..."

Ralph looked up at the sky and saw a dreaded sight – the moon was full, beaming and bright, glaring down on him like a wrath from the heavens. Just two weeks before, it was half full, and he had an intense craving for blood, which raw meat only did so much to satiate. He hustled to the bathroom, pretending as much as he could to need to go really bad, but he collapsed just far enough away from Roy so he would not see what happened next.

He growled, panted, and wheezed, feeling all the feelings of the month intensify a hundred-fold. Tears flowed from his eyes, remorseful for what he had yet to do.

"Please God, I am an unworthy servant... p-please have mercy on my soul..." he prayed, crying as he groaned louder in pain.

He could feel his back bones start to break and reform: "Forgive me, Lord... please... AH!"

The pain was so intense and seemed to last forever. It was a wonder how he did not feel faint as he felt his clothing start to rip from his body, just like his skin was parting over fur-covered flesh like a larva breaking out of a tight egg. He started to shout and growl as his facial bones and muscles started to break, split and reform into a large snout, and he could feel his height doubling from six-foot-three to just over twelve feet as his legs not only broke and reformed, but grew in length, shaped like that of an oversized wolf. His muscle mass also increased, his nails turned to hard talon-like claws, and the cartilage of his ears moved toward the top of his head. Ralph could also feel his senses heightening; smell and taste, especially, and he felt a sense of unholy strength overcome him. This metamorphosis left him covered in fur as black and thick as his own human hair, and without any sense of rationality indicative of a human.

Roy heard the commotion and gingerly walked over to the man he let use his bathroom, but was shocked to see the man replaced by something he only imagined to exist in movies, like the Wolfman

Roy heard the commotion and gingerly walked over to the man he let use his bathroom, but was shocked to see the man replaced by something he only imagined to exist in movies, like the Wolfman. This was no movie, this was reality. This twelve-foot Lycan was going to maul him, and he knew it. Bracing himself, he could hear the black-furred Lycan roaring at him and reaching over to grab him in his large, clawed hands. The Lycan mercilessly ripped into his throat with his razor-sharp teeth and proceeded to devour parts of his body; both his legs and one arm, to be exact. There was a huge splatter of blood on the floor where his carcass was tossed, and the rain barely washed it away. The Lycan was so tall that he hit his head on the ceiling of the garage, all the while accelerating at an inhuman speed through the woods to his destination – Camp Redwood.