Chapter 100

For Lucy, the next hours felt like a bad dream. It was as if this just couldn't be real. This wasn't actually happening. But it was, in fact. Spencer's mom, Diana Reid, had died. Spencer had gotten the phone call from her doctor in Vegas. When Lucy and Spencer hadn't returned to the living room anytime soon, Luke and Penelope had started to look for the couple and had found them in the bedroom. Lucy had wrapped her arms around Spencer's shoulders and neck, pressing him against her while he had sobbed into her shirt. It had been a heartbreaking scene and neither Penelope nor Luke had to ask what had happened. It had been obvious.

The two friends had been standing there in the doorframe, each of them holding a twin in their arms, and staring at the picture in front of them, looked at the crying young agent that had just gotten the news that his beloved mother was gone. Silent tears had been streaming down Penelope's cheeks. And Lucy couldn't hold back her tears as well. It had broken her heart to see Spencer like this. Penelope and Luke had offered to take the twins for a stroll so Lucy and Spencer didn't have to care for them in that moment. Spencer hadn't realized it but Lucy had nodded and let them go.

Now the couple had moved to the living room. Spencer had stopped crying and Lucy had gone to make him a strong cup of coffee. He wasn't a fan of tea at all so there was no reason for making him one right now. But he hadn't taken even one sip of it yet. Instead, Spencer was just sitting there, staring into space while Lucy had no idea what she could do for him. She couldn't even imagine how he was feeling right now. He had lost the person who had always been there for him and he had always been there for her. And now she was gone. "I...I knew this day would come at some point", Spencer suddenly murmured. His voice was raspy and he had to swallow before he could continue to speak. "It just came...so suddenly. When we were there months ago, with the twins, I...I thought it wouldn't be the last time. I thought I could have a chance to...say goodbye." New tears formed in Spencer's eyes and Lucy grabbed his arm, gently stroked it and leaned her head against his shoulder.

"I know", she whispered. For a moment, they just sat there in silence while Lucy gently rubbed Spencer's arm. He had leaned against her as well as if he was searching for something to hold on. And she would be there for him, no matter how long it would take for him to get over that loss.

The doorbell rang and Lucy got up to open. Luke and Penelope were back from their walk with the twins. Lucy was glad to see her babies again and brought them inside. She changed their diapers while Luke and Penelope went to join Spencer. Penelope rushed over to him and threw her arms around his neck. "Spencer, I am so sorry. So, so sorry", she whispered into his ear and couldn't hold back the tears.

"Thank you", he whispered back, burying his face in her shoulder. Luke went over to give his friend a hug as well. They were all touched and shocked by this news and had no idea what to say. When they had to tell family members of victims that their loved ones were dead, they somehow always found the right words. But this here was different. It was their friend that had lost someone he loved.

Lucy came back – the babies were now in their cradles and sleeping. She was so relieved that they hadn't been crying since Luke and Penelope had brought them back.

"Hey. Should we look after Mateo and Tessa so you two can have some time together?", Penelope asked. Lucy glanced at Spencer.

He shook his head and slowly got up from the couch. "No, it's okay, thank you." He tried to smile but failed miserably.

"Thank you so much for taking the babies for a walk today. You were a big help", Lucy said and then hugged her brother. For a moment, she just let herself fall into Luke's arms before she pulled away again. She needed to be strong for her husband now. And she knew she could do that.

"Okay. But let us know if you need something", Luke said before he kissed Lucy's cheek and gave Spencer another hug.

"We will, promise", Lucy quietly said. Then she closed the door behind her. Spencer let a hand run through his hair and looked at his wife.

"I'll go and take a shower", he murmured. Lucy nodded and watched him go. She let out a deep sigh. There was nothing she could do or say to make Spencer feel better, she knew that. For a moment, Lucy thought about following and joining him in the shower. But then she changed her mind. Spencer might need some time for himself. She'd leave him alone. Instead, Lucy started to clean the apartment. She finally had time for that since the twins were sleeping.

Half an hour later Spencer came from the bath room. His hair was still wet and a mess and he was only wearing a pair of boxers. He looked incredibly tired. "Hey", Lucy said and came towards him. She just wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a tight hug. Spencer wrapped his own arms around Lucy's torso and buried his face in her hair. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Do you want to sleep?", Lucy asked and pulled away a bit so she could look him in the eyes. They were slightly red, she recognized. He must have cried again in the shower. Her heart broke for him. This was the man she loved from the bottom of her heart and seeing him like this, not able to help him somehow, let a lump form in her throat.

"I'm tired but I don't think I'll be able to sleep", Spencer murmured into Lucy's hair. "But you should get some sleep, babe." He brushed a strand of hair out of her face.

"Spence..."

"No, really. I'll...just read a bit or so", he insisted. And Lucy knew, he was right. She was tired and wished for nothing more than having some hours of sleep.

"Okay..." She gently kissed him and squeezed his hand before she went off to the bathroom and then right into bed. The babies were still sleeping but Lucy was prepared for them to wake up again in about two hours. Maybe she could sleep until then.

A cry woke Lucy up. She had no idea for how long she had been sleeping nor what time it was right now. Groaning, she rolled out of bed and walked to the nursery. What she saw there let her heart melt. Spencer was sitting in one of the rocking chairs, holding Tessa in his arms. She had been the one who had started to cry and he was trying to calm her down now. Mateo was still sleeping soundly. Lucy kept standing in the door frame and watched Spencer quietly talking to his daughter. It seemed as if the baby was taking his mind off the grief for a while.

When he realized that he wasn't alone with the babies anymore, Spencer looked up. Lucy smiled at him and slowly came closer. "She just had a bad dream", Spencer said. She didn't say anything to that, she just put her hands on Spencer's shoulders and looked down at her baby. Tessa was already calm again and about to fall asleep.

Ten minutes later, Spencer had dared to put the baby girl back into the cradle and together with Lucy, he left the nursery. "Come to bed", she said and took his hand. "It doesn't help if you stay awake all night long." Spencer hesitated at first, but then he had to agree. His eyes were still slightly red and burning by now. He couldn't avoid sleep for any longer.

"I fed the babies while you were sleeping", Spencer murmured as he and Lucy lay in bed a bit later. Surprised, Lucy looked at him.

"How long did I sleep?"

"Three hours", Spencer replied. "It's okay, I could manage it without any problems. I love to look after our babies. They're my pride and I've never thought I could feel a love as deep as I do right now." Hearing those words made Lucy smile. He was an amazing father, even in such a hard time like this. She snuggled into his arms and placed her head on his chest. Her fingers gently stroked his chest.

"I'll need to fly to Vegas and get my mother here", he suddenly said and Lucy could feel the grip around her tighten. "I need to bring her here. And I...I need to organize the funeral."

Lucy turned on her left side and wrapped her arm around his torso, entangling their legs together and kissed Spencer's neck. "We'll get this all done, somehow. Together. Okay?" She could feel Spencer nod.

"Okay."