So. . . That Went Well!

Hogarth and (Name) rode their bikes back to Hogarth's home. They headed into the barn so they could park their bikes, but when they opened the door, they were met with a site they did not expect.

''You're late for dinner children.''

Kent Mansly. Their biggest enemy.

Well, their only enemy, but that's besides the point.

The two kids tried to make a run for it, but Kent shut the door, somehow beating them too it. He locked it, taking long steps away from it, acting like he enjoyed it. He did.

The two tried to back away from Kent, (Name) had one hand in front of Hogarth, but it didn't make a difference as he had one hand in front of her too.

''Your mum's working late tonight Hogarth. So it's just me, you and your partner in crime. And we're gonna have a nice little chat.''

He stopped in front of them, just staring down at them, letting them worry about what he was about to do. Letting them fear him, even if it was for just a few seconds.

''So sit down!'' Kent quickly shoved the two kids back, both of them landing on separate chairs, they were stopped from getting up as Kent then pushed a table in front of them. He grabbed the light, flickering it on as he placed it between them both, causing them to wince at the only light in the barn. ''How's that? A little bright? Good.''

He chuckles and Hogarth's hand found (Name)'s underneath the table, their fingers linking together.

''Forgive me children, I just wanted you to learn something.''

''So send us to Saturday school,'' (Name) said, finding comfort in Hogarth as his thumb stroked her knuckles.

''I feel like this should be a more. . . Personal lesson,'' He said, leaning over the table as he looked between them both, smirking. ''So it shall be taught by me.''

''What could we ever learn from you?'' Hogarth said, joining in on (Name)'s antics on annoying him until they let him go.

Kent's smirk left, replacing it was a scowl as he leaned over the table, getting into Hogarth's face. ''You can learn, Hogarth, that I can do anything I want, whenever I want if I feel it's in the people's best interest. The Giant Metal man, where is it?''

''We don't know what you're talking about,'' (Name) shrugged, squeezing Hogarth's hand in reassurance - for them both.

''You don't?'' Kent asked, straightening out as he stopped leaning on the table. ''Well, does this ring a bell?'' He lays down a photo of the aluminium Hogarth had used as bait.

(Name) shrugs, shaking her head.

''No? How about this?'' He then lays down a photo of (Name) and Giant, apparently she hadn't realised it was being taken at the time. Her eyes darted to Hogarth for an explanation, only to get more questions when she saw his red face.

''It doesn't prove anything,'' Hogarth said, this time he squeezed (Name)'s hand.

''It's enough to get the army here with one phone call.''

''You are aware, that this is technically blackmail, aren't you?'' (Name) asked and upon seeing Kent's shocked face, she rolled her eyes. ''Sorry, that not dumb enough for you to understand?'' Hogarth snickered and Kent snapped out of his shocked daze as he glared at the girl.

''Now, how do you know so much, Sweat Pea?''

''My parent's are apart of the army you seem to be depending on so much right now,'' (Name) said, smirking slightly, thinking she had the upper hand.

''Yeah, well, I report to the General, and he commands the army. I'm afraid your parents are little pawns, they do nothing,'' Kent said. (Name) felt anger bubbling up from her but Hogarth squeezed her hand again, rubbing his thumb along her knuckles. ''So, yeah, I could get the army here.''

''Then what's stopping you?''

Kent swipes the lamp out of the way, slamming his hands down on the table. ''Where's the giant!''

''You can't protect him Hogarth. Anymore than you can protect your. . .  Mother,'' He said, having taken Hogarth's jaw into his hand, squeezing his cheeks together.

''My mum?''

''It's difficult to raise a boy all alone. We can make it difficult. In fact, we can make it so difficult that it would be irresponsible for us to leave you in her care. You'll be taken away from her, Hogarth.'' He released Hogarth, who slumps back on his seat, beginning to panic, but his hand remained connected to (Name)'s.

''Don't worry, Hogarth,'' (Name) said, not looking at her friend, but straight into Mansly's eyes. ''If it comes to it, you and your mum can move in with me, we have the room and the adults I know actually have hearts.''

''Oh, but (Name),'' Kent said, smiling. ''Your parents are in the army? What happens when they get deployed?''

''They have been before.''

''Okay, okay. . . But what if they're moved into a different Unit? What if you have to move away from Hogarth?'' He circled around them, stopping directly behind them as he spotted their interlinked fingers. ''You'd be. . . Separated!'' On his last word, he yanked their chairs apart, forcing them out of each other's grip.

The two look at each other, their hands still tingling from before. The locked eyes. Hogarth shook his head upon seeing the fear in her eyes, but she slumped in defeat.

''He's uh, he's in the Junkyard. McCoppin's Scrap, off Culver Road.''

''The Junkyard. Of course! Food for the metal-eater. I wouldn't worry about this, children. This isn't really happening. It's only a bad dream.''

He shoves two rags on each of their mouths, leaving them unconscious.