XXIX

Chapter Twenty Nine ▪︎ The King's Queen

Thank you so so much for three thousand reads. You don't even know how happy I am that there is someone who appreciates my work. Thank you. If I could, I'd hug you so tight you'd pop like a grape. *wink wink*

The road to Brisbane was a long one. They were thankfully going along the coast rather than driving by the highway. The view was beautiful but soon became generic, so Dahlia switched her eyes to the male sitting in the seat next to her.

He had his shirt sleeves rolled up to his elbows and the top few buttons unbottoned. Dahlia could tell he was trying to look good for her and it made her heart swell with warmth.

It has been two days since they arrived to Sydney, making it December 28th. They have visited many museums, a zoo, the Sydney opera house (where they soon got bored of the snobby rich vampires and ended up in a cheap restaurant eating junk food and telling stories) and even went to an art gallery.

Dahlia was loving the adventure. It was so liberating, like a breath of fresh air after being chained up in a basement for decades.

Her former life and feelings towards the strange vampire next to her feel like an old dream, a distant memory. She sometimes wonders if something bad is going to happen because her life is so good. She isn't used to it, the feeling of happiness and having no worries, being able to buy anything she wants, wearing whatever she likes without worrying about what others might think, or having someone on her side- someone who cares about her deeper than her body or her bloodline.

"Thank you." She spoke suddenly to him.

"For what?" He smiled at her.

"Everything." She wiped a tear.

"Anytime." He smiled brightly at her.

As for Alexander, no one could explain what he was feeling. Dahlia had human emotions and could barely feel a bond to her mate, but Alexander felt everything. Every time her eyes travelled to him, her breath ran over his cheeks while she spoke to him, every skin contact was like fireworks of emotions in his head.

The bond was so strong it could make him a bit dizzy sometimes, like the time she kissed him on the cheek at the gas station.

But Alexander was also scared, it all sounded too good to be true. Thanatos was hidden away or was trying to claw his way out of his cage. He wanted Dahlia badly, and the feeling was growing every day.

Alex could feel his gums throbbing for a taste of her blood just by thinking about it. He could hear her heartbeat and it drove him insane. He had to stop several times to cool down.

He wouldn't admit it, but it wasn't just Thatos who was thirsty, it was also him.

He didn't have any problems with the bond making him sick now that Dahlia and he were at such good relations, but he was love-sick.

He ached to hold her in his arms one more time after Christmas. He wanted her to kiss him again, even if it was just a peck on the cheek.

He hoped she felt the same way. Her spirits were high ever since he mentioned her brother being alive and he was using it to his advantage.

"How much more?" Dahlia asked.

"About an hour. How are you feeling?" He asked, aching to hear her voice more.

"I'm good, happy. I don't think I have ever felt this way." She smiled once more.

"Your cheeks are going to cramp up if you keep smiling so much." He laughed happily.