Chapter 24: "Then Push That Extra 50!"

For the first time in a long time, I slept right through the night without a nightmare waking me up at ungodly hours of the morning.

I woke up feeling fully rested and actually looking forward to the day. The date was such a last minute idea yet it was one of my best ideas ever. I had more fun than I thought I would, and seeing how happy she was, made that decision all the more better.

The questions we asked each other were so different yet we learned so much more about each other, and honestly, I'm glad we decided to play twenty questions because now I feel like I'm starting to get to know the real Veronica Stone.

Veronica and I only left the beach around 2am when Mason phoned to let us know he would be heading home. Since Kate and Mason decided they'd stay at the Stone family's house, Veronica didn't have a curfew.

So, feeling genuinely ready for the day, I throw the covers off of me before making my way to the bathroom. I don't bother showering since Veronica and I are going to the gym, so after brushing my teeth and washing my face, I change into my gray sweatpants, a white tank top and my Nike sneakers.

 I don't bother showering since Veronica and I are going to the gym, so after brushing my teeth and washing my face, I change into my gray sweatpants, a white tank top and my Nike sneakers

My phone chimes from my dressing table and when I see the name that flashes my screen, an immediate smile creeps onto my face.

My Beautiful Irritation: Morning. I'm up, dressed and ready.

Me: Good morning, Firefly. I'll be over soon.

I stuff a clean t-shirt and my black sweatpants in my duffle bag before heading downstairs. As I pass mom's room, her door is open and I hear her shower running. My gaze falls on a picture that stands on the bedside table. It's a picture of mom and dad kissing just after they were pronounced husband and wife.

It is one of the many pictures that's scattered around the house, but that one is mom's favorite picture.

I sigh and continue my way to the kitchen. I miss him so much that it physically hurt.

I make myself a protein shake before grabbing a granola bar.

I scribble a quick note for mom to let her know where I am going and then leave to Veronica's. I wish dad could just wake up already. It's so hard pretending everything is okay when it isn't. I thought it would be easier by now, but it feels almost as painful as the day we were told he had slipped into a coma.

The pretending became easier, but the pain is just as strong as the day I thought I lost my superhero.

By the time I pull into the driveway, I realize I have tears running down my cheeks. I let out a growl in annoyance as I wipe my wet cheeks and eyes.

After making sure I don't look like I just cried, I get out of the car, leaving my duffle bag on the backseat. As I ring the doorbell, I can't help the rapid beating of my heart.

Gosh, I just went from crying to feeling nervous as hell in the spam of 27 seconds. What in the world is this girl doing to me?

The door swings open, revealing a very flushed looking Veronica. I smile down at her in amusement before pulling her in for a hug.