CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Start from the beginning

It had felt like one of those dramatic scenes from in the movies. Neither of them had an umbrella with them, so by the end of the conversation they were both soaked to the bone. After George had told her to not bother him again, he had left the girl standing all by herself in the rain. Her mouth had fallen open in shock. Her brain didn't seem to work, since it didn't send signals for her to start moving and get somewhere dry. If someone hadn't gotten to her, she might have stayed outside of the hospital for quite some time. Paisley Suen had walked into the waiting room to talk to the family of one of her patients, when she had seen a familiar blonde standing in the rain. After letting the family know the good news, she had grabbed an umbrella and led Courtney back inside.

They sat together, while Paisley tried to get Courtney to tell what had happened earlier. Courtney kept on insisting that she was fine and that she shouldn't worry, but Paisley told her each time that nobody stood like that in the rain with that look on their face for fun. They went back and forth for a while, until Courtney finally revealed that she might have just lost one of her close friends. Paisley had hugged her and didn't let go for a while, which bothered Courtney at first, but in the end she liked feeling someone's arms around her to comfort her. It was nice knowing that someone was there for her.

"I'm sorry, Court," Callie stopped the blonde from reminiscing. Courtney looked at the woman next to her, wondering why she was apologizing. "It's my fault that you got dragged into this whole mess and that you're fighting with George. It's all my fault, oh god. I'm so sorry."

Courtney quickly stepped in front of Callie and put her hands on Callie's shoulders, while looking directly into her eyes. "I'm going to say something and you're gonna listen very, very well, okay?" Callie nodded. "It's not your fault. None of this is your fault. You can't blame yourself for George hating me or us no longer speaking to each other. That isn't your fault! Sure, you sleeping with Sloan right after you broke up with George might not have been the best idea, but why should George get so mad at that? You guys were broken up and it's his fault that he didn't realize that. Why should he get so mad about something that happened when the two of you were no longer an item? Just because someone doesn't realize when they get broken up with doesn't mean that the relationship is still going. Don't blame yourself, okay? None of this is your fault and I don't want you thinking otherwise."

"Some days I think that I really don't deserve to have a friend like you."

"Maybe you don't," Courtney said with a smile on her face, letting out a laugh. Those small little moments were the light in her life. They made her realize, for just a second, that maybe life wasn't so bad. Callie slapped her shoulder as she rolled her eyes, a smile on her lips. Courtney rubbed her hand over the sore spot as they continued laughing. "I don't think that anyone deserves to have me in their life."

"Someone has a big head over here," Callie laughed as she put her arm around the girl's shoulders. "But honestly, Courtney, more people need to realize how lucky that they are to have you. I wouldn't know what to do without you. You have my back no matter what."

"Are you going to start crying and yell out how much you love me?"

"You wish. Maybe you don't deserve to have me. I don't really like people with egos bigger than a house." Callie joked as they stopped in front of the entrance leading into the locker room.

"Are we going to forget about Mark Sloan? His ego is way bigger than mine. A couple of days, I saw him staring at his reflection in a glass door. Oh, and then the other day, he was telling himself how good he was looking that day. I honestly thought he would start making out with his mirror. That whole thing is imprinted into my brain now. It was horrible, I'm honestly not kidding here. I have even more nightmares now."