Lokant: Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

Hope flared anew. Devary stepped back, moving out of the path of the door. He waited, unconsciously holding his breath as the unseen girl worked on the other side of it. His straining ears caught every slight scraping sound as she worked. It seemed to take forever.

At length the door swung inwards. He could almost have cried with relief.

'Thank you,' he said, filling the word with all the sincere gratitude he hadn't time to express at length.

The girl smiled at him. She was a slight figure, wearing her white hair closely braided. She was dressed in loose overalls. Shockingly, her clothes and hands were splashed with blood.

Beside her stood the man who'd spoken. It was indeed Limbane, though his formerly mild face was taut with tension and irritation. He made an impatient gesture at Devary, who hastened to obey.

'Keep up,' Limbane said tersely. 'We've three more cells to check.'

Devary fell into step behind Limbane's group as they surged down the dim hallway outside his cell. There was another white-haired woman; she barely glanced at him and said nothing. A second man, apparently younger than Limbane, had no attention to spare for the newest addition to their group. He was limping badly, his leg pouring blood.

Behind all walked a woman nearer his own age, raven-haired and almost incandescent with fear. In her arms she carried a tiny little boy.

Devary instantly gave up trying to decipher this curious collection of people. He moved instead to the side of the limping man. The fellow was obviously suffering great pain, but he clutched a gun in both hands, aiming it unwaveringly down the hallway ahead of them.

'Can I help?' Devary offered.

The man's only response was to draw another weapon from a holster on his belt. It was a mere pistol, but Devary felt better having it in his hands.

'Shoot when I say,' the man gritted.

Ahead of them, Limbane and the blood-stained girl were checking the final few doors. The corridor terminated in a dead end; Limbane reached it with a snarl of frustration.

'Where's the boy?' He paced back a few steps. 'There must be more cells.'

The girl shook her head. 'Not on the layout plan, sir.'

'Then where in the -'

'Who are we looking for?' Measured footsteps approached from behind Devary. He whirled round, heart thumping. That voice was too familiar.

Krays stood blocking the exit.

Limbane strode past Devary, shouldering him out of the way. 'Krays,' he said coldly. 'You're a devious bastard, you know that?'

Krays looked annoyed. 'How in the blazes did you find us this time?'

Limbane chuckled. 'Two can play the tracer game, Kraysie.'

'You've killed a couple of my men.'

'You've shot two of mine, possibly killed one,' Limbane replied with a shrug. 'We're even.'

Krays's cold eyes flicked to the dark-haired woman and her child, then moved to Devary. 'Rescue party? I can't imagine what kind of an interest would be sufficient to get you personally involved, Limbane.'

'The fact that you find these people so very interesting is enough for me, Kraysie. Though I'm puzzled. What have you done with the other one?'

'What other one?'

Devary thought Limbane would say something else, but instead his fist lashed out and connected with Krays's face. The other man crumpled, his expression a picture of surprise.