Lokant: Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

Stay with Ma, she said to Sigwide, placing him near Ynara's feet. She didn't wait for his agreement. Backing away, she flashed back into her draykon shape, ignoring the gasps of shock and fear from the assembled crowds. In seconds she was back in the air, arrowing towards Isand.

Pensould was in the midst of the three draykons, hard pressed but holding his own. Llandry felt another stab of guilt; in her anxiety for her mother she'd left Pensould to fend for himself against three draykons.

Well, now she would even the odds.

Tensing herself for impact, she hurled herself into the fray, letting her body collide with Isand's at maximum speed. The red draykon bellowed and dropped, but she wasn't incapacitated for long; her head came up, her jaws fastening on Llandry's hide. Her teeth pierced the skin and Llandry shrieked with pain.

Minchu, get out of the fight!

What a time for Pensould to get protective. Don't be absurd, she replied. Take care of the other two. Isand is mine.

She turned on the wine-hued draykon, absolutely intent on killing her for the attack on her mother. She bit and clawed ferociously, heedless of her own safety, uncaring as long as she took Isand down with her. Claws raked fire across her side; she bellowed and turned, darting in and around Isand's guard to snap at her neck. Her smaller size gave her the advantage of speed and agility; her teeth connected, sinking deeply into the red beast's flesh. She ripped her jaws free, revelling in the other draykon's bellow of pain and the flow of fresh blood as she circled away and back.

Why fight us? Isand's speech was laced with pain, a fact which gave Llandry considerable satisfaction. We are the same.

We are not the same! Llandry screamed the words at her. These are MY people!

Your people? The question was heavy with confusion. That cannot be.

But it is so. And the woman you may have killed is my mother. For that, I WILL kill you.

Your mother? Such a thing is not possible. She is human; you are draykoni. Isand's jaws snapped at Llandry's flanks again, but half-heartedly. I do not wish to fight fellows. Cease your defence of these worthless creatures.

Llandry attacked again, raking her claws across Isand's red hide. I will not!

Isand shook her great head and roared. Then she began to retreat, her blood streaming away to the ground.

We retreat! she bellowed. The other two draykoni paused in their harassment of Pensould; Llandry felt their confusion and resistance to Isand's order. But they obeyed it.

As they fell into line behind Isand, Llandry launched herself in pursuit.

MINCHU! The name was roared so loudly that Llandry felt her brain might explode. Cease your pursuit! NOW!

Llandry flew on.

Pensould's massive weight slammed into her from above, knocking her off balance. He kept on her, herding her to the ground, using his superior size to cut off her escape. Fighting him every inch of the way, she was nonetheless forced to earth.

Pensould snapped his heavy jaws near her face, growling. You will not DARE to kill yourself in pursuit of revenge! That is for the likes of Isand. Your family needs you alive. I need you alive. Stop it now!

Llandry drooped, her rage dissipating under the weight of Pensould's disapproval. He was right, of course. She had lost her temper, something she never remembered doing before.