Lokant: Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

'We learned recently that his organisation has been making use of the inhabitants of this Cluster to further their aims. A sensible enough plan, as his organisation has always been small. And it was inspired to seek out the Lokant descendants, though training them may have been less intelligent. It appears one or two of them have taken his training and turned it to entirely different purposes. How the one known as Ana learned about the draykoni, I don't know, nor how she conceived of the idea - and the means - to restore one of them. But the damage is done there.'

Pensould bristled at that. 'Damage? I must thank you, I suppose, for your interference or there would have been no Minchu to assist my own return and that of my kind. But do not speak of it in that negative way.'

Limbane regarded him without expression. 'For you, Pensould, it is a good thing. That I understand. For Miss Sanfaer also, I believe. But you must see that other draykoni are not as tolerant as you. You have already returned one who was killed, I believe, in the conflict and who was neither resurrected nor her body discovered and plundered. To her, humankind will always be the enemy and she has already begun her ill-considered but nonetheless fervent revenge mission. For this Cluster, that is indeed a negative occurrence.'

'Cluster?' Tren's query was diffidently spoken; most of his attention was on Eva, who as yet had only stared stonily at Limbane and said nothing.

'Cluster of worlds,' Limbane explained. 'Very few worlds exist in isolation. This cluster consists of Iskyr, Ayrien and Irtand; what you fancifully and erroneously think of as the Upper, the Lower and the Middle. In fact there is no physical hierarchy of that kind. Clustered worlds inhabit essentially the same space, existing more as one central world - in this case Irtand - and one or more echoes of it. This Cluster is particularly nicely balanced, I must say. Two mirror images of Irtand, one reflecting the lights and the other the darks. Beautiful stuff.' A note of enthusiasm crept into his tone and his eyes lit up at the concept.

'Er, right,' said Tren, staring at him with bemused amazement written across his features.

'Never mind,' Limbane sighed.

'You've glossed over the Lokants in all of this,' Eva said, breaking her silence at last. 'I could ask you where you come from, but your last comments suggest that the answer would mean nothing to me. So, instead: what am I, and what is our part in this?'

'You, my dear, may be thought of as something of a throwback to your ancestors. Some of the Lokant children have the white hair and little else; others inherit a great deal of the unusual make-up of their forebears. Ana is one such, I suspect, if she does indeed "vanish" as you say. I suspect you will also prove a strong partial. Tell me, are you that type of person who enjoys unshakeable popularity? Never have any trouble persuading people to your cause? Very, very good at summoning?'

'All of those things,' Tren put in, when Eva merely glared at him.

'Naturally. Draykoni magics spring from their very close bond with this Cluster of worlds; they manipulate it and its native inhabitants with ease because they are essentially woven of the same fabric. Lokants, on the other hand, are entirely other, and cerebral beings at that. Our talents lie in areas such as relocation of ourselves, other beings, or objects, and - er - shall we call it charisma? If you are a strong Lokant then you possess a strong will, and it is the easiest thing in the world to impose it on others. You have tapped into that without realising, I do believe, and profited considerably by it.'

Lady Glostrum stared at him in growing horror. 'I met a little girl recently - white-haired - who was chillingly good at domination over beast kind. She wasn't using Summoning; it was something else. Are you saying that I also employ such skill? And - and over people as well?'