Lokant: Chapter Twenty

Start from the beginning

A gentle voice interrupted Devary's reverie. 'Good morning again, young man.'

The elderly gentleman they had passed in the gardens stood a few feet away. Devary started, astonished. He hadn't heard the door open, and Indren hadn't behaved as if she knew this man. Did someone else keep keys to Indren's private library?

'Morning,' he said warily, straightening up. He hadn't been addressed as "young man" in many years, but compared to this man perhaps he was indeed. The newcomer looked at least eighty, though his age didn't appear to hinder his mobility at all. He sat easily at one of the desks, though his gaze didn't move from Devary's face.

'Can I help with something?' The man smiled again as he said it, though the expression didn't make Devary feel any more at ease.

'Ah... I don't know. Who are you, if you don't mind my asking? I wasn't expecting to meet anyone here.'

'Just a fellow scholar,' the man replied. 'My name is Limbane.' The man stood up and bowed. 'Whom do I have the honour of addressing?'

His courtesy was charming in spite of Devary's unease. 'Devary Kant,' he replied with an answering bow. 'A colleague of Professor Druaster.'

'I see.' Limbane looked at him for a moment, his eyes narrowing. 'I am quite familiar with this library,' he offered. 'Perhaps I could assist you with your research.'

'I'm finding my way around, thank you,' Devary demurred. Limbane may seem friendly, but he hadn't given his last name and he hadn't explained what he was doing there.

'You're one of Krays's, aren't you?' Limbane sat down again and rested his aged hands on the desktop.

Devary's wariness increased. 'You know Krays?'

'Better than I'd like to,' Limbane replied dryly. 'Tell me, are you a willing assistant or a coerced one?'

'Um... I haven't been working with him for very long,' Devary stalled. He wasn't sure how much he could say to this man. Was he an associate of Krays's?

'Coerced,' Limbane concluded. 'I disagree with his style, personally. People work poorly under coercion. It's a clumsy way to accomplish anything useful.' His smile was back. 'That's apart from its being morally questionable, of course.'

Devary stared.

'I do not number Krays among my colleagues,' Limbane said. 'To my relief. You may set your mind at rest on that score: I am not here for him.'

'Then why are you here?'

'I came to meet the young man who is championing the cause of that most interesting young lady, Llandry Sanfaer.'

'You know Llandry?'

'I know of her. We have not yet been introduced. But when I asked myself the question of where to find that elusive young person, I came to the same conclusion as Krays has apparently done.'

'I don't know where she is,' Devary said quickly.

Limbane nodded. 'Good, I do approve of loyalty. You need not fear, however; I do not wish to capture or hurt your young friend. On the contrary, she is in grave need of assistance and it is time she was offered some.'

Devary shook his head, backing away. 'How can I trust your word? As far as I'm concerned, anybody connected to Krays is dangerous. Besides, I speak the truth: I do not know where she is. I made sure that I would not.'

Limbane's pale blue gaze sharpened. 'Ah,' he said after a moment. 'A tracer.'

'What do you know of the tracers?'