Lokant: Chapter Nine

Start from the beginning

When he woke, he opened his eyes to a vision of smooth white skin and soft, even whiter hair. Lady Glostrum's face, close to his. Her deep blue eyes were fixed on him, bearing a thoughtful expression.

'Oh,' she murmured as he blinked. 'I'm sorry. You seemed deeply asleep.'

'One would think in that case that it would be more questionable to stare at me in this way.' He couldn't move without bumping into her, so he stayed where he was.

'I told you not to wait up for me.'

He cocked an eyebrow at her. 'Somebody has to keep an eye on wayward young ladies.'

He expected her to laugh at that, but she frowned and sat back on her heels. He sat up, suddenly feeling awkward. A small black shape fell from his chest and flew off.

'Rikbeek likes you,' Eva said, noticing the direction of his gaze. She didn't move away.

'Lucky me. Does that mean he'll be drinking more of my blood, or less?'

'Probably more.'

His neck itched, right on cue. He slapped the gwaystrel away in irritation.

'Sorry,' Eva said. She didn't sound remotely remorseful. If anything she was trying not to laugh.

'If that monster of yours sucks me dry, I'm holding you responsible.'

'No danger of that. He'd explode if he tried it.'

'It might be worth the sacrifice, in that case.'

She laughed softly. Watching the way her mouth dimpled at the corners, he forgot to speak. The silence stretched.

'Er, so,' he said with a cough. 'How was your dinner? And what time is it, anyway?'

She glanced briefly at the uncurtained window. 'Not moonrise yet. And dinner was fine.'

He looked at her, puzzled. She'd obviously stayed the night with Angstrun, yet here she was home before the moon even rose. It was none of his business to ask, of course, but...

'Oh,' he blurted. 'I forgot. Um, one of the books is gone.'

'Gone.' She repeated the word without inflection, gazing at him levelly.

He sighed and rubbed his eyes, still feeling exhausted in spite of his few hours of sleep. 'I hope you are feeling credulous, or I am about to be fired.' He told her about his nocturnal visitor and the woman's curious disappearance, explaining in some detail in hopes of being believed. Her expression didn't change, but he knew his story must be hard to credit.

He finished speaking and she said nothing at all.

'I suppose I'd better go home,' he said at last.

'Must you? I was about to order breakfast.' She stood up and dusted off her skirt. 'Don't worry about the book. Not your fault. But it's interesting. Shall it be eggs?'

'Thank you, I-' He stopped. She was already gone.

Breakfast was a leisurely affair. Suffering from a headache and some degree of eye strain, he was in no hurry to return to the study, and neither did Eva seem to be. Their conversation was restored more or less to normal; his vague feeling of awkwardness faded and by the end of the meal he felt cheered and more like himself. As Eva's servants cleared away the remains of their meal, Eva paused at the dining room door and smiled at him.

'I have the morning free, and I think I shall spend it assisting you. If books are spiriting themselves away, it would be best to take copious notes as soon as possible.'

The prospect of another long day at the desk was suddenly desirable. 'Agreed,' he said, stretching the muscles of his arms and neck as he followed her back to the study.

The desk was empty.

Both stood frozen for some moments in complete astonishment. They had been absent for an hour and a half at best; Tren was certain that all of the books had been on the desk when he had left the room.

'Tren, did you...?'

'I have not moved them.'

She nodded. 'Milyn must have been tidying in here while we were at breakfast. I'll enquire where she put them.'

Tren had a sick feeling that Milyn would know nothing about it. Sure enough, Eva returned to the study looking dismayed.

'All of my staff have sworn that they have touched nothing in here. I do not think they would lie to me, but...' She trailed off, stared at the empty desk. Tren was chilled to see her lost for words; she who normally had an answer for everything.

She shook her head. 'The house will be searched. In the meantime, you spoke of cross-referencing your notes at the city library? Perhaps we should continue there.'

'Of course,' he agreed readily enough. She was taking the event well, he reflected, but just as he formed the thought her elegant shoulders slumped and her face took on an expression of stress. A deep sigh came from her.

'I'm sorry,' he said quickly. 'It's my fault, I should have guarded them better.'

Her head came up at that. 'Your fault? You've forgotten that it is my doing that the books were here in the first place. I insisted on detaining you at my home instead of the library, because it would be more secure. In fact I suppose I was merely being self-indulgent.'

Tren watched her uncertainly. 'No one could blame you for preferring to have them studied here in your own house, under your eye. You couldn't possibly have found time to travel to the city library every time you wanted a report.'

'That was part of it, yes.' She took a breath and looked him in the face. 'There was something else, though, I think. More to do with you.'

'Uhh. Me? What?'

Eva gave him one of her warm, bright smiles, the ones he'd seen her direct at Vale but never before at him. 'I like having you around.'

Tren blinked, trying to decipher her tone. 'Wait, you did that because of me? – I mean, because you – um, no. That can't be true.' He ran a hand through his hair, feeling hopelessly confused. 'I, um, like being around you too. I don't even need to say that I guess because it's obvious, and, um.' Eva was staring blankly at him, her smile gone, and he realised he must sound like an idiot. Adopting what he hoped was his usual friendly smile, he tried again. 'I'm sorry, I'm sleep deprived. What exactly are you saying?'

A tap came at the door.

'Enter,' Eva called, without taking her eyes from his face. The door creaked open and a soft female voice with a broad west city accent spoke.

'Milady, I was wondering if you'd noticed Lord Vale's carriage has just drawn up.'

Eva blinked as if coming out of a trance, turning to stare at her maid with apparent incomprehension. 'Oh,' she said at last. Then, more firmly, 'Yes. Thank you, Milyn.'

The girl bobbed a curtsey and, flicking a brief glance at Tren, she left.

Eva looked back at him, and in an instant she was all business once more. 'I will be at the library later on. Perhaps I'll see you there?'

'Yes, um. I'll be there.'

With a nod but absolutely without a smile, she was gone.

Tren realised with distant interest that his hands were shaking. Stuffing them into his pockets he ventured out into the hallway, then immediately regretted it. Lord Vale stood near the staircase, his grey hair damp from the rain and his powerful frame swathed in a magnificent great-coat. His arms were around Eva and he held her very close.

'Eva,' Tren heard him say softly, 'I've had enough of waiting. Never mind the grand wedding; we don't need it. Just marry me. This week. Tomorrow, even.'

Tren found that he badly needed some air.