Chapter 3

"Another day of work..." I sighed, grabbing a towel off the rack and wrapping myself in it. I dried myself and my hair off then got ready. The Seabear's diner uniform was a weird mix of pastel blues and toned-down greens, littered, of course, with various shaped grease stains.

Finally done getting ready, I turned off the bathroom light, grabbed the keys to my mother's old and frankly beat-down car, and headed off to work.

Upon arriving, I once again flipped off the happy seal logo that was dirtied and rusted from years of sitting up there, but this time with a smile on my face.

"Heya, Kait!" Said one of my coworkers.

"Yo!" I replied.

"I think Audrey was lookin' for you; you should go see what she wanted."

"Will do." I replied, walking to the back and setting down my things.

"Kaitlynn! I was just looking for you!" Audrey said, coming up behind me.

"So I heard." I responded, turning around. "What's up?" I asked.

"Audrey, we need you out here!" The manager yelled from the front.

"Coming!" She yelled back. "I'll get back to you on that." She smiled and brushed her hand through my hair before walking away.

With that, I put my hair up and began my day.

Eventually, the end of the day came, and as I was opening the door to my car, someone called after me.

"Kait! Kait!" It was Audrey.

"Yeah?" I replied.

"The reason I wanted to talk to you is because I wanted to invite you to a party that I'm going to later," she smiled.

I thought for a moment, because it would really dig into my self-loathing time. But, this was Audrey, I didn't want to disappoint her. I responded, "Sure! I'll come!"

"Great! Here's the address!" She handed me a slip of paper and smiled as she walked away.

I wasn't one to usually go to parties, but who knows this could turn out to be my thing. Unlikely, but who knows. Admittedly, I was nervous,;I've liked this girl for a couple months now, and here she is, inviting me to a party! And of course I was beginning to have second thoughts. Maybe I was better off being alone.

Despite me begging myself not to go, I eventually decided I would. This was a house party, so maybe something casual? Or maybe something fancy, like a dress? I really didn't want to go shopping. Ever since the last time my mother took me shopping, I've dreaded it:

"What do ya' want, Kait?"

"Could I get a candy bar?" I had asked as politely as I could.

"Really? Doll, listen, you're already puttin' on some weight, and you want more suga'?" She scoffed as we walked right past the candy aisle.

"But, Mom-"

"No, Kait! I told ya', I'm not gonna' raise a fatty!"

That night I cried more tears than I thought I could hold.

However, I still had to pick an outfit for tonight. At this point I was feeling too unmotivated to do anything or go anywhere. I just wanted to cry, my usual coping mechanism.

I looked at my old rusty clock on the wall, I still had about four hours before the party even started, and on top of that ,who even shows up to parties on time?

The time passed faster than I care to admit, and soon enough it was 7:30. I had 30 minutes left. I threw on jeans I had yet to wash from the last time I wore them, but that was because I didn't have the quarters to wash them yet. On top of that, I also put on a shirt with a mysterious stain that admittedly had been there for years. But this one was (somewhat) clean at least.