12

Reach for my hand
'Cause it's held out to you
My shoulders are small
But you can cry on them too
_____________________

IRONICALLY, Fairy Godmother's goodness class was the only class I didn't seem to be struggling as much in.

I sat between Mal and Evie. Carlos and Jay took up the other table. I rested my head on my hands propped up on the desk as I watched the Fairy Godmother go back and forth about the notes on the blackboard. I peeked at Mal and saw her doodling a drawing of the wand. Evie was just trying to make sense of the lecture.

"What do you do when you see a wallet on the ground?" The Fairy Godmother said, pointing at the question, "Do you, A, ignore it and walk away? B, secretly take it back to your dorm? C, turn it over to the proper authorities? Or D, throw it into the ocean?"

Jay raised his hand.

"Yes, Jay?" The Fairy Godmother looked pleased.

"Why do you guys have wallets and money here, when you can just take whatever you can get your hands on?" He asked.

Carlos looked at him like he was an idiot as the Fairy Godmother sighed. "You're awfully bright, aren't you?" He muttered.

Suddenly, Jay leaped out of his seat and grabbed ahold of the younger boy. A giant grin on his face, he slammed Carlos on the table and sat on his back, restraining his arms. Carlos yelped, kicking backwards.

"Are you forgetting who used to bully you at our old school?" Jay taunted, seeming to enjoy himself.

"Jay!" Evie cried, standing up.

"Get off him! You're crushing him!" I yelled.

"Boys, boys." The Fairy Godmother tapped on the table sternly, "I suggest you use that energy on the tourney field."

"It's just a little roughhousing." Jay argued.

"Jay." Mal glared at him, fists bunched up.

Jay huffed, then finally letting Carlos go, but not before giving him a powerful shove which sent him stumbling towards our table. The white haired boy bit his lip, and I could tell tears were coming. But he seemed to have swallowed it up as he slowly dragged himself back to his seat.

Mal's chilling glare continued to drill into Jay. "Don't ever do that again."

It occurred to me that I've never talked to Jay about what Carlos has gone through. I buried my head in my hands and sighed, then looked over at Carlos. His gaze was fixed on the floor.

My heart ached.

Once everyone was semi back to their sitting positions, the Fairy Godmother spoke. "Can anyone answer the question, please?"

I straightened up. "C."

The Fairy Godmother smiled at me. "Correct!"

"How'd you know?" Evie whispered.

"It's easy." Mal whispered back, "Just pick the one that doesn't sound like any fun."

"Oh." Evie answered, "That makes so much sense."

"Alright, guys." The Fairy Godmother clapped her hands, "We have ten minutes left of class, but I have a surprise for you." Her voice went up, lacing with excitement.

She wheeled in a television, making us glance at each other curiously. The Fairy Godmother motioned for us to join her at the front of the classroom and reached behind the television to turn it on. The five of us made our way in front of the television. The faces of Maleficent, Jafar, the Evil Queen, and Cruella de Vil appeared on the screen and my heart dropped to the ground. I saw Carlos physically flinch in front of me.