Chapter 2 (updated)

My boots quickly filled with water as I ran through the trees, weaving my way toward the treehouse. The rain hit my skin like bullets. I should have stayed with him earlier before the rain even started. I knew I would have to do this. San was right. He was always right.

The wind pushed me around, pulling me side-to-side. The rain pounded onto my coat, creating a deafening sound that was so loud; I couldn't hear myself think. The flash from the lightning and my memorization of the foot trails guided my way toward my destination. The blanket that I stowed under my jacket kept my stomach warm. My arms and legs were soaked with freezing rain, causing my arms to be coated with goosebumps. Deep shivers rattled through my bones, causing my teeth to slam against each other with uncontrollable tremors.

I finally reached the bottom of the tree. The creek now flowed over its banks, licking at the trunk of the great oak. I looked up toward the house in the tree. The tree's canopy swayed violently in the powerful gale. The treehouse sat silent and cold. I grabbed firmly onto the wooden ladder, and slowly pulled myself up. I flung myself onto the deck, reaching the top of the tree.

I couldn't hear Yunho inside, but I knew he was there; he was always there. I crawled my way to the door, pushing it open with both hands. The door caved, and I rolled across the floor. I quickly got back up and pushed the door shut, locking it tightly with a piece of wood. I instantly turned my attention to Yunho. My eyes landed on him. His eyes were large and swollen red with tears. Small cries escaped him, breaking my heart. I never got used to it. I had been in this position hundreds of times but it never got easier.

He cowered in a crumpled huddled in the corner. He pulled his face from his hands looking up at me. I moved to his side, pulling him into a hug. I pulled away for a second, unzipping my jacket and revealing the miraculously dry blanket.

Yunho reached out to me again. I placed my hand in his as he forcibly pulled me into his lap. He wrapped his arms around me like a scared child hugging their favorite stuffed animal. I wrapped the blanket around the two of us. His body was shaking like a leaf in the wind under my own. This was not a result of the cold; this was fear. The sick and violent side of fear manifested its ugly head when we are at our weakest. This was a curse that I hope he one day defeats.

"It was an accident," he whispered under his breath, "I should have listened." I wrapped myself around him tighter. This always happened. The rain reminded him of that day. The day he fell. "I should have listened," his tears landed on my back as I curled into his chest.

"It's okay, Yunho. I'm here with you. Nothing is going to happen," I said, reassuring him, "I promise." I sat silently clinging to my friend. I took in a deep, calming breath concentrating on the energy around me. I felt the warm, comforting touch of the glowing mist crawl over my back. I opened my eyes to see the blue mist, coating us in a peaceful cocoon. The howl of the storm began to quiet, and the shaking of the treehouse became still. I felt Yunho release a breath of pent-up stress, as his shoulders dropped with relief. "Thank you," he breathed in a shaky voice.

"It's all okay, now," I said, squeezing him tighter, "We are okay."

***

The sun peaked through the treehouse window, shining a beam of light into my eyes. I shielded my face from the burning sun, turning my head to look the other way. I was still lying on top of Yunho; he stirred under me at my sudden movement. He stretched his arms out, letting out a loud yawn.

"Good morning," I said moving off of him; I stretched my legs and arms, feeling the satisfying pull of my stiff muscles. Yunho stood almost hitting the ceiling of the treehouse. The boards creaked under his feet as he approached the door, opening it up and taking in the outside world.

Leaves and branches littered the ground around the tree. The creek bellowed had gone down a little, but still flowed at a rushed pace. Yunho stepped away from the railing at the sight of the creek. His hand instinctively reached for the back of his head. I joined him on the deck of the treehouse, spinning around, soaking in the post-storm sun.

He wrapped an arm around my shoulder, "Thank you," he said, looking out onto the creek again. He cringed away again.

"Stop thanking me so much; it's never a problem. I would do it every day if I had to," I said, patting his stomach.

"Yeah but I thought I could do it this time," he lowered his head in shame.

"One day, You will do it. It just wasn't today," I said, hugging Yunho tightly. He smiled down at me which made his cheeks rise into small spheres. I loved to see him smile. He deserved to smile. He deserved a lot of things, but sadly, they were taken from him too soon. "I want you to meet my brother," I said, moving toward the ladder.

Your brother?" he said, looking down at me as I descended the ladder.

"Yes, my brother." I laughed, watching the man follow me down the tree. He jumped away from the water's edge before hitting the ground. "I think I two would get along," I continued.

"I don't know," he said. He, like San, was nervous when it came to new things.

"Just think about it, okay? It's just a suggestion," I said, heading in the direction of my house. I was late for school. My dad wouldn't be happy, but if I were lucky, he wouldn't remember.

"I will think about it," he replied hesitantly, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. I knew he wouldn't. I reached the tree line that bordered the end of my street.

"You ever need me; you know where to find me," I said pointing at the small white house that I called home. Yunho nodded before giving me a final squeeze of the shoulders.

"See you after school?" he asked as he backed farther into the trees away from the street.

"Always," I said, waving goodbye. Like blowing out a candle, he was gone.