Chapter 07: Lost in the Storm (Pt. Two)

Ch. 07: Lost in the Storm (Pt. Two)

I felt like I had been run over by a tractor-trailer, washed off of the road, and stretched by a steam-roller.

The cold, winter air was like a bitter knife. It cut into me from every direction. A violent torrent of snow flurries came down all around my face, the cloud of white so thick that I could barely see the hand that desperately pushed branches out of the way in front of me. Was I lost? Not exactly. Terrified, yes, but not lost. I was somewhere near the road, down by my old school. I could hear the whistle of cars as they whizzed by. I had to be careful not to –

Just then, an ear-splitting honk of a horn tore me out of my silent reverie. Heart pounding in my ears, tearing at my chest like some kind of pick-ax, I raced back in the direction that I had come from. The car went by and I landed in a snow drift, unharmed. The fall had caused some of the snow to leak into my clothes and now I was soaked to the bone. Unable to suppress a shiver, I took a deep breath, and started back toward the unknown.

Soon, the terror turned to cold. The tears that leaked from my eyes froze on my frost-kissed cheeks. My body started to stiffen and all at once I realized just how dire my situation was. Now closer to the road than I had initially believed, I knew that I wasn’t by the school. That meant that I was lost. I was lost in the middle of a North Dakota winter, soaked to the bone, and would die of hypothermia before the storm let up. This was just my luck.

And yet, I knew if I had to do it over, I would. Even if I didn’t love Eddie, I still felt something for him. Something still stirred in me when I looked at him, as much as it pained me to admit it. We had only known each other for a few days, but it felt like more than that. In fact, on the day that I first met him, I could’ve sworn that I had seen him before. He looked so familiar, but at the same time, he was as mysterious as ever.

--

Claudia raced down the halls as if she were on fire, her smile more radiant than a 100-watt bulb. “Amor, I think that I have finally met ‘him’.” Claudia cheered. I smiled, thankful to see her so excited after her break-up with Darren.

“Oh, really?” I could barely hide the note of honest interest in my tone. As much as I hated to think it, I would love to meet the man who could survive a ‘love-attack’ from Claudia. Her hugs were brutal. “What’s his name?”

“Edward. Edward Matheson. But he likes to be called Eddie for short.” Claudia told me proudly. “You remember that exchange program for the seniors?” I nodded. “He switched with my brother for a semester.”

I couldn’t help but flinch. I was both impressed and fearful for the poor boy’s life. “That’s wonderful news, Claudia! Where is he? I can’t wait to meet your catch.”

“Oh, he’s over there with a bunch of other senior boys. He doesn’t like to talk about ‘us’ in front of other people.” Claudia said. She tried to play it cool, but I could see her mask as it started to crack.

“You haven’t actually asked him out yet, have you?” Sigh. Eye roll. A frantic nod.

“Please, Amor. You have to help me! You’re so much better at this than I am.”

And like the sucker that I was, I agreed to help her out. I don’t know what compelled me to do it. We were both sophomores, virtually invisible to the big, bad seniors. Please. As if we didn’t realize that they hung out behind the school to smoke, drink, and have meaningless flings that nobody would remember the next morning? A lot of the sophomores (if not some juniors as well) did it too.

But there was something odd about this Eddie Matheson. He seemed to have this aura about him, it drew you in. From his charismatic smile to his overpriced designer jeans, he looked to be more apt to be the captain of the football team then to date someone like Claudia. Silently, I cursed myself. Someone like Claudia. What the hell kind of friend thought a man was too good for her BFF? No, my BFF is too good for your lousy ass.