Chapter 06: You Don't Love Me? The Search for Eddie (Pt. One)

Chapter 06: You Don’t Love Me? The Search for Eddie (Pt. One)

“What?” I couldn’t control the tremor in my voice, and was unsure if it was caused by excitement or terror. He loved me? How could he love me? The confusion must have been obvious on my face, for his brilliant smile faltered.

“I love you, Amor. I don’t know why I wasn’t able to tell you earlier.” His hands released my shoulders, and he started to walk about the room. His arms flailed in the air, but I could not tell what the movements meant. “Maybe it was because I couldn’t see it before. But how could I not? You’re flawless, Amor. Absolutely… flawless.”

A flush claimed my cheeks; dark blonde tendrils fell before my eyes. “You love me? That’s… nice.”

“Nice? That’s all you have to say? That it’s nice that I love you?” He exclaimed, his tone a cross between exasperation and sadness. And then the sadness took over, and his entire face morphed with realization. “You don’t love me…”

“No, Eddie, it’s not like that! I do love you… but, as a friend. Isn’t that what we are? Friends?”

Eddie’s silver eyes shimmered unnaturally, and I had to wonder if he had taken in alcohol recently. I mean, this was certainly not normal behavior for the sarcastic fairy. But would alcohol even affect a fairy? “If you don’t love me, then I don’t want to be friends. I’ll cut all ties before I’ll settle for a consolation prize.”

I took a hurried breath to try and halt the tears that were about to fall. “It wouldn’t be a consolation prize, Eddie. I want to be friends with you, don’t you see? I don’t understand what your problem is today!”

“Oh, so now I have to have a problem?” Eddie sneered; his silver orbs misted over and narrowed. “You know what, fuck off. You can find yourself another Fairy Godfather, because I quit. I’ll even do you a favor and let you keep your wishes intact. Good luck with the rest of your life.”

“What the hell, Eddie? Eddie…”

A red and black sweater materialized on his form, and the buttons started to come together. When I tried to reach for him, he flinched away from my hand. Confused, I allowed it to fall back to my side. Before I could voice my confusion, however, he had vanished. I had never noticed before, but when he vanished and materialized he left behind a trail of… fairy dust, maybe? It was shimmering silver, a few shades darker than his eyes. Intrigued by this new development, I bent down and collected some on the pad of my thumb. It was cold and lacked moisture, like the air in the arctic.

“Eddie? Please, Eddie?”

I didn’t know what to do. Usually, all I had to do to summon Eddie was to call his name. And then I remembered what he had said, how he had wanted me to find another Fairy Godparent. Had he quit on me? It seemed like such a foolish thing to quit over. And it wasn’t like I didn’t feel anything for him… but it was all so sudden, y’know? Darren and I hadn’t even been separated for a week before he declares his love, and he expected me to jump on command. Carefully, I fell back onto the couch and drew my knees into my chest. Maybe there was some sad movie on television to take my mind off of this mess…

The television flickered on, before bad reception caused snow to fill the screen. Our television was crap. I had seen the wonderful flat-screen televisions that took up an entire wall of your home, that never had bad reception, and all of your friends envied it. Yeah, that was the dream. The television in our den barely took up half of the wall, and didn’t work half of the time. Too lazy to stand, I flipped to the channel that I wanted, and threw the remote at the TV. It flickered for a few more seconds, before the show came on so loud it could’ve woken the family down the street. The mother worked late, so she slept now.