I stood in the middle of the crossroads, pondering about the right path to follow. I heard approaching footsteps and I looked up to see an elderly man walking towards my direction. He kicked an innocent stone laying in his path, and walked past me. I immediately called after him—hoping he would know the way to Ibile.

“Good afternoon Baba,” I greeted.

He slowly turned back to me and replied.

“Good afternoon, child. How may I help you?” He asked; a sinister smile creeping up to his face. I eyed him cautiously and brushed it off.

“Baba, please which is the right path to Ibile town?”

Without looking towards the routes, he pointed to the left path—eyes still trained on mine.

“That is the right path.” He answered and turned away, walking down to his own destination.

“Thank you Baba,” I shouted, but he didn’t spare me another glance.

* * *

The sun had set, and there was still no trace of civilization since I had been walking. The old man had pointed to the left route—which I took—but I had not gotten to any town or village ever since. By now, I was certain the old man was clueless and I had stupidly listened to him in the moment of my desperation.

I proceeded with my long walk, hoping I would get to Ibile somehow. The distant hooting of an owl caused me to take in my surroundings once more.

Night had fallen, and I was in the middle of nowhere. I didn’t know where to turn to—I couldn’t turn back because I didn’t know the way out, and I couldn’t walk further because I didn’t know the way forward. I was stranded in a dark open space, with only the moon as a source of light.  I began to panic as I frantically searched for a place to go—holding my bag close.

Two obscured figures emerged from the shadows. They didn’t seem to be walking, they glided over each other like two vultures—daring me to run. I screamed in fear, and ran into the night not waiting to see what creatures they were. I continued running, only to turn back to see that they were hovering after me, I squeaked and increased my pace.

A large house which stood over the mountains came into sight. I heaved a sigh of relief and ran towards the house—praying the occupants of the house would take me in until I was able to find my way. I looked back to the two shadowed creatures, they were catching up to me—swinging and rolling over—like slithering snakes.

By the time I got to the front porch of the house, I was out of breath. I panted and staggered towards the door. I began to bang on the door like a crazed woman. I struck the door with my tiny fist repeatedly but there was no answer. Tears began to cloud my eyes as realization hit me. I’m going to die, and these two creatures would feed on me.

I pushed my back against the door and slid down slowly, the two figures soared to my direction. This is it. They lunged forward and I shut my eyes tight—waiting for an impact. I felt the door open at my back. A hand grabbed me and pulled me in, before banging the door shut.

“Alima, what were you doing outside?” A voice yelled.

The voice was strangely familiar; a voice I had been yearning to hear for a long time. My eyes fluttered open, and I took in the man before me.

“Papa?”

* * *

“Papa, I don’t understand. Wh—why are you here in this big house?” I asked, visibly puzzled.

He stared at me for a while, and then ran over to my side—inspecting my head.

“What are you talking about Alima? Did you hit your head again?”