17. more than a friend

Start from the beginning

I roll my eyes at the sidewalk. "Yes."

"How did you even meet him? I read that it was through a dating app? I thought you hated dating apps."

"I do," I say then I take a deep breath and tell her everything that has happened since Derek and I were matched through the app. Natalie listens patiently, asking questions here and there but there is no judgment in her voice. She sounds excited for me.

"I love that you're not being easy," she says after I finish. "You're worth so much, Sav, and he should work to win you over."

"It just started as a way to teach him a lesson," I say as I cross the street. There are cars everywhere and it's a little hard to hear her. I have to press the phone close to my ear as we talk.

She laughs. "You would. That is so you."

I laugh with her then I sigh. "I think I like him too much, Nat."

"I know," she says and I feel like she really does know what I'm going through. "You have to be careful. Don't, you know, get your hopes up too much."

I gulp. It sucks to hear it but I know she's right.

"I don't want to be a Debbie Downer," Natalie says when I don't say anything. "I know I don't know him personally but he is a celebrity, Sav, and they're always jumping from girl to girl. I hope it doesn't happen. Just be careful."

"Yeah, I know," I say with a frown as I stop outside the back doors of the restaurant. "I'm sorry I haven't called you."

"It's okay. I've been busy with Sammy myself."

I smile. "I can't wait to meet him."

"I know. I can't wait to see you. I miss you."

"We all miss you too, Sav."

She catches me up on what's been going on back home until I have to clock into work. Everyone at work acts weird around me as I make my way into the kitchen.

"Hey, Savannah."

"Good to see you, Savannah."

"Saw you on TV last night. You're famous."

Oh. So that explains it. People are not usually that friendly around here. The oldest ones look unbothered as they keep working. I just smile at everyone's comments, feeling a bit embarrassed and overwhelmed at the same time.

"Everyone has been talking about you," Kim says as I stand next by her in the line.

"Oh god."

Kim shoots me a smile. "You're famous. Just remember I was here first, okay?"

I roll my eyes at her. "Shut up. I'm not famous."

"You're just dating a famous celebrity," she says. "Which basically makes you famous." She nudges my shoulder. "How was California?"

We don't have time to hold a proper conversation because we're rushing the line as soon as service starts. I feel surprisingly good at work. It's probably thanks to the weekend that I had.

After work, I agree to go with Kim and get a drink. I know she's dying for me to give her the details on what happened over the weekend. So we walk to Culinary Drop-Out when we're out. My phone vibrates as we walk and I reach for it from my back pocket. It's a text from Derek.

Hey, Gin. You at work?

Hey, I'm out. I'm heading to the bar with Kim

Cool. Can I join you?