Chapter 19

All three boys took their guns and left us alone while they patrolled the rest of the library, looking for more potential victims

All three boys took their guns and left us alone while they patrolled the rest of the library, looking for more potential victims. I hoped and prayed that the others had heeded my words and found another secret hiding spot—or even better, found a way to leave the library.

As I tried to figure a way out of that mess, I stared down at the dead body that lay in the middle of the floor. We all stared at the teenage girl, wondering what would happen next or who they planned on killing next. Her dead eyes looked up at the ceiling, and I crawled over to her dead body to close her eyelids for her. It didn't make her any less dead, but it made her fate much less apparent to the rest of us.

In the room they'd kept us in—the main area of the library—all of us were within running distance to the front door, though we didn't realize it until the flashing lights appeared from a distance. Frozen where I sat on the floor, I watched as one person right after the other ran to the sliding glass doors, but they didn't open. One of larger men started banging on the doors, hoping by some miracle that they'd open, as if controlled by magic. All it did was attract too much attention to us to the killers patrolling the hallways.

I tried to stop them, but their fear covered their ears. It was simple, after all. If only they could break through that glass, they'd all run to safety. If only it was that simple. Though none of them were privy to this information at the time, the city had replaced those doors with bulletproof glass. And as it turned out, none of us had a rifle powerful enough to break through that glass. So, what did they do? They screamed and they screamed and they screamed.

Too much noise. Quiet. Too much noise. Please just shut the fuck up! I wanted to scream like a crazy woman at these idiots, but what would that have done? It would have caused more problems for us, but don't worry—those problems were walking right back down the hallway to find out what all the noise was about.

"Get the hell away from that door, or I'll kill you all," Norris yelled. They all ran away from the door, except for one—the big, macho guy who thought he could single-handedly break through the glass with his bare hands. "Looks like we have a hero," Norris said, and he shot him in the back of his head without hesitation.

Ever the lucky one, Norris then diverted his attention to me—the one person who had barely moved from her original position. He pointed the gun at me, pulled the trigger, and—