Chapter 5

Wait, why is she sitting next to me?! There's plenty of other seats, actually there's like only two, but still! Silently panicking, I decided to write down notes, pretending not to notice her.

I could hear the other students whispering,"Poor girl" or "I guess she'll have to deal with the freak this period, should someone tell her." I couldn't do anything other than clench my pencil as I listened to their words. Emilia didn't pay attention to what the other kids were saying, in fact she was trying to start a conversation with me.

"Hi there! I'm Emilia! What's your name?" She asked happily, holding out her hand for me to shake.

"Melody," I said hesitantly holding my hands out. Emilia grabbed my hand and shook. Her smile grew, her happiness radiating all over the place. I couldn't help but smile. Damn you contagious smilies!

"That's a beautiful name! I bet you get a bunch of music jokes." She exclaimed, only to be shushed by the teacher. Emilia apologized before smiling again.

I simply hummed in response. "Here," I said as I handed her my notebook. "These are the notes you'll need for this class. Also take these." I handed her some note cards filled with notes from other classes.

Emilia covered her heart dramatically and mouthed a thank you. I just shrugged my shoulders and looked out the window, leaning on my arm.

"S̸͟͞h̸͟͞e̸͟͞ s̸͟͞e̸͟͞e̸͟͞m̸͟͞s̸͟͞ l̸͟͞i̸͟͞k̸͟͞e̸͟͞ a̸͟͞ n̸͟͞i̸͟͞c̸͟͞e̸͟͞ k̸͟͞i̸͟͞d̸͟͞. W̸͟͞h̸͟͞y̸͟͞ d̸͟͞o̸͟͞n̸͟͞'t̸͟͞ y̸͟͞o̸͟͞u̸͟͞ t̸͟͞r̸͟͞y̸͟͞ t̸͟͞o̸͟͞ b̸͟͞e̸͟͞ f̸͟͞r̸͟͞i̸͟͞e̸͟͞n̸͟͞d̸͟͞s̸͟͞ w̸͟͞i̸͟͞t̸͟͞h̸͟͞ h̸͟͞e̸͟͞r̸͟͞." A voice whispered in my ear. I rolled my eyes at the thought of having friends.

You know full well that after a few weeks, she'll start treating me like the rest. They all do, so what's the point Shadow? I scoffed at him. Shadow sat on the windowsill, swaying his tail around.

"A̸͟͞w̸͟͞, c̸͟͞o̸͟͞m̸͟͞e̸͟͞ o̸͟͞n̸͟͞ M̸͟͞e̸͟͞l̸͟͞. Y̸͟͞o̸͟͞u̸͟͞ s̸͟͞h̸͟͞o̸͟͞u̸͟͞l̸͟͞d̸͟͞ a̸͟͞t̸͟͞ l̸͟͞e̸͟͞a̸͟͞s̸͟͞t̸͟͞ g̸͟͞i̸͟͞v̸͟͞e̸͟͞ i̸͟͞t̸͟͞ a̸͟͞ t̸͟͞r̸͟͞y̸͟͞. I̸͟͞ h̸͟͞a̸͟͞v̸͟͞e̸͟͞ a̸͟͞ g̸͟͞o̸͟͞o̸͟͞d̸͟͞ f̸͟͞e̸͟͞e̸͟͞l̸͟͞i̸͟͞n̸͟͞g̸͟͞ a̸͟͞b̸͟͞o̸͟͞u̸͟͞t̸͟͞ t̸͟͞h̸͟͞i̸͟͞s̸͟͞ o̸͟͞n̸͟͞e̸͟͞." Shadow whines, mimicking the voice of a child.

I guess I could... also stop doing that. It's creepy seeing a demon sound like a child. I smiled when I hear Shadow huff in annoyance and whisper,"M̸͟͞e̸͟͞a̸͟͞n̸͟͞i̸͟͞e̸͟͞." It's not that I don't want friends, I really do, I just don't want to be hurt more.

~~~~

Lunch time. The best period of the day, where you can hang out with your friends(if you have any that is) and eat. I sat alone doing my homework, eating the "pizza" the school served, if you can call it pizza.

Munching away, I could see Shadow flipping off students as they passed by. I smiled, You know they can't see you.

"I̸͟͞ k̸͟͞n̸͟͞o̸͟͞w̸͟͞, b̸͟͞u̸͟͞t̸͟͞ h̸͟͞e̸͟͞y̸͟͞ y̸͟͞o̸͟͞u̸͟͞ s̸͟͞m̸͟͞i̸͟͞l̸͟͞e̸͟͞d̸͟͞. H̸͟͞e̸͟͞y̸͟͞ l̸͟͞o̸͟͞o̸͟͞k̸͟͞ a̸͟͞t̸͟͞ t̸͟͞h̸͟͞a̸͟͞t̸͟͞ i̸͟͞d̸͟͞i̸͟͞o̸͟͞t̸͟͞! H̸͟͞a̸͟͞, h̸͟͞e̸͟͞'s̸͟͞ t̸͟͞r̸͟͞y̸͟͞i̸͟͞n̸͟͞g̸͟͞ t̸͟͞o̸͟͞ d̸͟͞i̸͟͞v̸͟͞e̸͟͞ i̸͟͞n̸͟͞t̸͟͞o̸͟͞ a̸͟͞ t̸͟͞r̸͟͞a̸͟͞s̸͟͞h̸͟͞ c̸͟͞a̸͟͞n̸͟͞! H̸͟͞u̸͟͞m̸͟͞a̸͟͞n̸͟͞s̸͟͞ a̸͟͞r̸͟͞e̸͟͞ s̸͟͞o̸͟͞ d̸͟͞u̸͟͞m̸͟͞b̸͟͞." He said as he got distracted.

I don't even realize that someone approaching me from behind until I hear a cheery voice say" Mind if I sit here? You look pretty lonely." I nearly fell out of my seat. I grabbed the table to steady myself.

"Oh sorry! I don't mean to startle you!" Emilia said, giggling.

"It's fine, really. And sure you can sit here." I responded. I glared with the corners of my eyes at Shadow when he started laughing. Emilia happily took a seat next to me. Thanking me for giving her the notes. She began to rant about herself and how wonderful the school has been to her. I droned out, nodding my head to make it look like I was listening.

Then all of a sudden she asked,"Hey wanna be friends? You seem like a pretty cool chick and you're nice."