Chapter 9: Copper Leaves/"Lack of Education!"

The next day, Widow Tweed decide to have Tod stay inside for his own safety.

Tod looked out a window and wanted to out to play with Copper along with Lily while Widow Tweed was cooking something and Lily drinking her a cup of warm and comforting tea as they looked over at Tod.

"Poor little tyke", Widow Tweed said sadly. "It's a shame we have to keep him cooped up".

Lily watched Tod jumped onto a floor, went over to a door and looked up at the old lady with pleading eyes.

"He really wants to go play outside", she said to her grandmother. Lily would love to let him play with Copper but she knows that Widow Tweed did this to keep Tod away from Amos Slade and Chief.

"Oh, Tod, stop looking at me like that", Widow Tweed said to him softly. "It's not my fault, you know. You've caused a lot of trouble and put Lily in danger yesterday".

Tod hung his head down in shame.

"Oh, I'm sure he didn't mean it, Grandmother", Lily said to her. "He was full of curiosity".

She hated to lie but she had to keep the friendship between Tod and Copper a secret.

Lily kneeled over to Tod, lifted his head and placed her hands under his chin as she said, "Tod, we love you. We just don't want to see anything happened to you."

She hugged him close and he nuzzled her chest.

Then Tod's ears perked up as he heard the barking noises coming from outside.

He jumped from Lily's arms, jumped onto a chair and went back to the window as Lily looked out the window as well.

Widow Tweed stopped stirring her supper and went to the window as she said annoyed, "Oh, now what are they up to?"

They looked out the window and saw Amos Slade packing his back truck, Chief at the front seat barking excitedly and Copper still tied to his barrel sitting down as he wags his tail.

"I think Amos and his dogs are getting to go to some kind of a trip", Lily wondered as she watched.

"A hunting trip", the old lady said to her. "A long one from the looks of it. Hmm! Well, good riddance!"

Widow Tweed went back over her stove and continued cooking something.

Both Tod and Lily continued looking out the window.

Tod couldn't bare to let Copper leave without saying goodbye to him as Lily thought the same.

They just had to go outside and say goodbye to Copper before he leaves for a long hunting trip.

Lily picked up Tod, placed him on her shoulder, went over to the door and looked over to her grandmother who continued cooking.

"Grandma, since Amos and his dogs are leaving, Tod and I are just gonna walk around the for some air. I'll keep Tod close to me".

"Sure, Lily", Widow Tweed replied. "But be careful".

"We will", Lily said as Tod nodded.

With Tod on her shoulder, Lily opened the door, went outside on a porch and closed the door before they raced to Amos's place with Widow Tweed not seeing them going over there.

Meanwhile, Amos was fixing up his radiator that Widow Tweet shoot as he grunted, "Dog gone meddling female! Shooting up my radiator!"

His car started to backfire before Amos kicked his car.

"Dad blame it! Get going!", he demanded.

Then his car started to motor smoothly which made Amos smile in relieve and patted his radiator proudly.