Part Twenty

Jorge

The next couple months go by too quick. Benji and I spent as much time together as possible, knowing we would be apart soon. Prom was amazing, we danced the night away and went to Drew's famous after party. Graduation, seemed a little surreal.

We got to pick who we wanted to sit by during graduation, so naturally, Benji and I were together. We cheered each other on when our names were called and when it was time for us to throw our caps, Benji pulled me into a long kiss. It was the kind of kiss where everyone else seemed to disappear. We stayed like that for a while, holding each other as the rest of our class celebrated their achievement.

We spent the beginning of the summer doing everything we possibly could. We went camping with Drew and Olivia, who are now dating and very happy. We took road trips and stayed up way too late talking about nothing. Every second was absolutely perfect.

It's now early August, and Benji leaves tomorrow morning for college. I'm so unbelievably proud of him. I know he's going to do amazing there. We decided to try staying together, long distance, and I actually have faith that it'll work out. He'll only be there for four years, and we're going to take turns visiting each other. I'm going to visit him first, around late November, and then he'll come back to Spain in December for the holidays.

It's going to be hard, I know that, but I couldn't let him turn it down. My heart aches every time I think about him being so far away, but for now, it's the right thing to do.

"What are you thinking about?" Benji looks at me from the other side of his bed. We're laying down, facing each other. He wanted to cuddle, and I do too, but right now I just want to look at him.

"You," I smile. He reaches his hand out and rubs it up and down my arms, making my heart flutter.

I take in his facial features. His tan skin covered in small freckles across his cheeks. His big, brown eyes and his long lashes. His pink lips that make me fall in love with him all over again.

"I can't believe you're leaving tomorrow," I whisper.

"I could stay, it's not too late," Benji says all too quickly. He's been doubting himself a lot lately, saying that he isn't good enough to play there and that he should just stay here, with me.

"It's going to be amazing, I promise," I rest my hand on his cheek, rubbing circles with my thumb. I ignore the burn in my stomach, thinking about what's going to happen when he's gone.

"Are you tired?" Benji questions. It's late, maybe one or two in the morning. Benji's too nervous to sleep, and I just want to spend as much time with him as possible.

"No," I shake my head, but feel my eyes get droopy. I blink my eyes at a rapid pace, trying to wake myself up.

"You look tired," He laughs. "You can go to sleep, it's okay."

"I don't want to," I close the space between us, our bodies touching, but our faces still inches apart.

"I got you something," Benji sits up quickly, like he remembered something important.

"What? No, Benji. I don't need anything," I pull at his arm, hoping he'll come lay back down with me. He needs to be saving his money and not spend it on me. Although, his schooling is completely paid for, traveling back and forth will get expensive.

"It's too late, I already got it," He turns around and smiles at me before reaching over to his bedside table, taking something out of the drawer. I sit up next to him, waiting for my gift.

In his hand is a small, wrapped box covered in Santa. I laugh at his choice of wrapping paper when he hands it to me.

"I couldn't find 'I'm leaving the country, but I still love you' wrapping paper," He laughs. "So, I figured Santa would do."