Part Fifteen

Benji

Monday mornings are usually unforgiving and unkind, however, I was excited to get to school to see Jorge. Taking him home last night was dreadful. I just got him back and am eager to make up for all the time I lost with him. I was hoping to take Jorge to school, but Olivia picked him up because they had some kind of cheerleading meeting before school.

On my way to school, I stop at Starbucks to get him his favorite drink. He tries not to drink coffee, but by second period, he's usually complaining about how tired he is.

The line takes forever and I pull into the school parking lot just as the bell rings, indicating that class has started. I run up the steps, with coffee in each hand and my backpack over my shoulder.

"Glad you could join us, Mr. Krol," Mr. Williams glares at me when I walk through the door. I mumble a quick apology and make my way to the back of the class where my seat right next to Jorge is.

"Hey," He whispers as I sit down next to him. He gives me a smile as Mr. Williams continues his lecture.

"Here," I hand him his caffeinated drink. He takes it from me with a smile.

"Thank you," Jorge turns back to the class, resting his head on my shoulder.

A few minutes later, Mr. Williams passes out an assignment and tells us to get started on it. The class erupts in chatter.

"You're still coming over for dinner tonight, right?" I pull out my English textbook and open it to the page needed to complete the assignment.

"Yes," Jorge smiles at me before pulling his own textbook out. "I brought an extra change of clothes, like nicer ones. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to dress up or not."

I look down at what he's wearing; loose jeans with a white sweater. His chains poking out the top of the sweater. I smile at him, "What you're wearing is perfect," I kiss his temple. "You look beautiful."

***

"Baby, stop stressing," I pull a pacing Jorge to stand in between my legs. I rub my hands up and down his arms.

"I know, it's just that it's your family. Like, extended family," He pulls out of my grip to keep pacing. He stops in front of the mirror hanging up on my wall and fixes his hair for the tenth time in the last two minutes. "I want them to like me."

"Well," I stand up from my bed and stand behind him, wrapping my arms around his waist and resting my head on his shoulder. He looks at me through the mirror. "I like you."

"Benji, I don't care if you like me-"

"Okay, ouch," I laugh into his neck, making him giggle.

"You know what I mean," Jorge tugs at his sweater.

"Baby, they'd be crazy not to like you," I spin him around in my arms so he's facing me. I kiss the tip of his nose. "And if they don't, I'll beat them all up."

"Perfect," Jorge laughs. "Is your grandma going to be here?"

I think back to when I told Jorge I came out to the rest of my family. My grandma was the only one that didn't approve. "Yes, but she'll be on her best behavior. I had my mom talk to her beforehand."

"Okay," Jorge voice is shaky and full of worry.

"Benji!" My moms voice carries up the stairs into my room.