Part Eighteen

Depuis le début

"What's up?" Benji says in a calm, cool tone.

"You guys played really well tonight," He looks back and forth between Benji and I.

"Thanks," Benji nods to him, taking a drink of his water, finishing the glass and setting it on the table behind us.

"It's kind of funny, though. I didn't know they let fags into the dance," He laughs.

"We have every right to be here, as do you," I give him my best fake smile. My mom taught me at a very young age to treat hatred with kindness. I turn back to Benji, hoping the conversation will be over, after I say, "I hope you guys are having a good night."

"Oh, we're not done," One of the boys, I'm not sure which one, grabs my shoulder and pushes me back to face them.

"Don't ever fucking touch him again," Benji steps forward. His face gets red and his chest puffs out, a natural way of reacting with men.

"Or?" The boy antagonizes, smirking at Benji's quick reaction. I pull Benji's arm, realizing that this could get ugly, and fast. He doesn't seem to notice, and before I know it, Benji pushes him back.

"Stop it!" I pull Benji back with all my strength. He looks down at me and his eyes soften. "Let's just go dance some more."

Benji nods and turns to walk around them, but the guy shoves Benji, stopping us in our tracks. I mentally roll my eyes at them, hoping this interaction will be over soon and we can go back to having a nice night.

Before I know it, Benji's fist flies up, a loud popping sound quickly following as his fist connects with the guys face. I hear myself gasp, unable to move. My feet are cemented to the ground as I watch the two hit each other. I snap out of it when I see blood on Benji's shirt.

"Benji! Stop!" I tug at his shirt. He looks down at me with an apologetic look while the guy cups his jaw. "Let's just go."

I don't wait for a response and walk as fast as I can to the exit. My skin gets hot with anger when I walk out the door and am met with the cold air. Benji should've just smiled and walked away. Now we have to leave.

"Baby," I hear Benji run up behind me, trying to catch up. When I don't respond, he grabs my wrist, spinning me around to look at him.

"You're bleeding," I state, cringing at the amount of blood coming out of his nose. It was too dark for me to see much inside.

"I'm fine," Benji wipes his nose on the back his hand, but the blood on his lip is replaced by new blood in a few seconds.

"Let's go," I say, maybe a little to harshly. I don't want to be here anymore.

"I'm sorry," Benji whispers when I turn back around and walk towards the car. I don't respond.

The car ride is silent, neither of us wanting to be the first to talk. I stare out the window, watching the city go by. The small town is usually beautiful, but tonight it looks more ugly than it usually does.

"Here," I hand Benji a towel when we get to his house. I point to the kitchen counter and say, "Sit up here."

"Thanks," Benji says when I dampen a cloth and wipe it across his nose. "I'm sorry."

"Okay," Is all I say. I don't want to fight with him right now, that would be the only thing that makes tonight worse.

"You're not even talking to me," Benji huffs.

"What would you like me to say," I take a step back, looking at him.

"I don't know! Whatever it is you're thinking right now," Benji sighs. "I know you have a lot to say."

"Okay," I breathe. "You really want to know? I was having a really fucking good night with you, but then you go and do that! What is wrong with you?" I start off quiet, not wanting to wake up his parents, but it turns into yelling by the time I'm done talking. 

"I told you I was sorry," Benji yells. I shake my head, annoyed, and walk to the sink, rising out the cloth. Red liquid runs down the drain. No matter how many times I wring it out, it doesn't get clear.

"Are you guys okay? I heard yelling," Benji's mom appears from around the corner. I look away from her, not wanting to tell her what happened.

"We're fine," Benji says flatly.

"You're bleeding. What happened?" She gasps, taking a step closer. I run the cloth on Benji's face again, collecting blood.

"It's nothing, mom," Benji says, clearly annoyed. She turns to me, hoping I'll tell her.

"He got in a fight."