Chapter 33: Out

Beginne am Anfang

Once again, the two women sat next to each other, almost snuggling against each other, watching episodes of The Office on Claire's phone. They were grateful for the Quinjet rides because it was the only time when they could snuggle with each other around the other members of the team without it looking suspicious and having them question it. Except, this time turned out to be not like the other times. Sam, who was sitting in the cockpit, turned on autopilot and got up from his chair and walked to the back, standing in front of them with his hands on his hips. The two women looked up him, confusion evident on their faces and Claire paused the episode, taking the earbud out of her ear. Wanda copied her.

"Can we help you, Sap?" Claire asked, shooting the Falcon and sassy smirk. Wanda bit her lip to keep from laughing. A frown grew on Sam's face as Claire's smirk grew.

"Actually, you can help me with something. Tell me what's going on between you two." The smirk disappeared from Claire's face and Wanda's face paled a little at Sam's demand. The bluntness of it was enough to give them both pause, but Claire recovered and frowned, standing from her seat, getting in Sam's face.

"What makes you think there's something going on?" she asked folding her arms over her chest. Steve too stood up and moved to stand close to them, ready to jump in in case a fight broke out. Wanda shifted uncomfortably in her seat and cast her eyes downward. She knew that they were being as discreet as they could've been, and she appreciated Claire for trying to cover it up, knowing that the thought of being outed just yet unnerved the brunette.

"Ever since your little fight or whatever, every time I see you two together, you're so close, physically close to each other; closer than you were before the fight. You're with each other constantly. When Wanda had that attack in the woods in Wakanda, you carried her back and you were so hysterical they had to sedate you. Whenever there is even the slight chance of danger you get overly protective of Wanda, and God forbid anything happens to her, you freak the fuck out and go on a rampage—"
"I do not—"

"Sam..."

"Russia? The HYDRA soldiers? Do you remember that? Does that ring a bell?" Claire looked down at the floor as Sam continued to list off everything he ever caught the two of them doing, and it angered her. It angered her that for a moment she couldn't have some sort of peace without someone sticking their nose into it, trying to demand what was happening. It happened a lot in Sokovia, it happened at the Raft. All her life she'd been demanded of things without one second of a break, of peace, and it was happening again.

Her skin started to burn, heating up as her rage burned in her mind. Her eyes glowed a bright purple and her claws grew longer as Sam continued to interrogate them. He didn't notice as she started to lose control and shift, but Wanda did and in an instant, she shot up from her seat and pushed Sam away, knocking him into Steve, and grabbed Claire's face in her hands and aggressively pressed her lips against Claire's. Claire instantly relaxed; her claws returned to their normal length and the glow of her eyes disappeared as she closed her eyes and brought her hands up and tangled them in Wanda's long brown hair. Wanda pushed Claire back down in her seat and moved to sit in her lap, her added weight keeping Claire from getting back up. Wanda felt Claire's fangs as they kissed, Claire being careful to not bite Wanda's lip. She let out a low growl when Wanda finally pulled away, breathing heavily and blushing a deep red.

She was in no way ready to come out to anyone just yet and she definitely didn't want anyone to witness them making out, but it had to be done. Over the course of their brief romantic relationship and their friendship, Wanda learned that the quickest way to either stop Claire from shifting or to help her regain control faster was for her to come into so sort of contact with the shapeshifter; the best way being physical. She pressed her forehead against Claire's as she caught her breath. She ran her fingers through the redhead's hair, helping to calm her down.

"It's okay," she whispered, feeling Claire's arms leave her hair and snake around her, pulling her close into a hug. "You're okay, baby. I've got you."

"I'm sorry," Claire whispered into her brown hair. Sam and Steve stood in bewilderment as they watched the scene in front of them, suddenly feeling like that were intruding on a private moment. Wanda soon removed herself from Claire's lap, allowing her to stand, and followed her over to Sam and Steve. Wanda took Claire's hand in hers and ran her thumb across the surface. Claire looked down at the floor, standing in front of the two men in shame; she never liked losing control, especially when she lost control at a friend.

"I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have gotten that angry and I should've tried to calm down. I'm so sorry, Sam," Claire said. Wanda moved her hand, letting Claire's drop to her side, and stroked her back. Sam cleared his throat and hesitantly placed a hand on her shoulder.

"It's...apology accepted, Claire. I shouldn't have come at you guys like that."

There was a moment of silence between the four of them before Steve cleared his throat and spoke up.

"So...how long has this been going on?" Wanda snorted a laugh at the semi-unexpected question.

"We've been dating for about two weeks now," Claire mumbled as Wanda giggled beside her.

"And when were you going to tell me?" Steve asked rubbing his forehead, trying to approach it delicately.

"We didn't feel comfortable coming out to anyone yet," Wanda said, her voice turning serious. Steve's eyes softened as he sensed her worry and fear. He stepped forward and pulled the two of them into a hug, accepting them both for who they were.

"You know we wouldn't have judged you, right?"

"It wasn't just that," Claire said into his chest. "It's...this is still new, and we didn't know how to define it really." Wanda nodded and Steve sighed in understanding.

"Who else knows?"

"Only Jemma and Bucky. Jemma sort of pushed us to get together." Steve released Wanda and Claire and smiled at them.

"Well, I'm happy for you both."

"Me too," Sam said, walking behind them and ruffling their hair. He smiled when he heard their laughs and cries for him to stop.

"Listen you guys, can you...not say anything to Natasha? We want to tell her in our own time," Wanda asked, she soft Sokovian accent pleading with them. Sam scoffed.

"Chances are Tasha already knows, but yeah sure, we won't say anything."

"How would she know?" Claire asked looking behind her at Sam. Sam leaned down, becoming level with the girls' ears.

"Tasha knows all."