NINE

Chapter Nine.

I could hear cackling around me as I fastened my pace. My heart violently threw itself against my chest over and over as the voice got louder. I looked over my shoulder thinking it was right behind me, but there was no soul except for myself on the street.

"Sweet, sweet, girlie. Where are you going?" The voice behind me almost made my heart jump out. I was breathing heavily as I was now in a full-on sprint. I held my bag tightly to my side, ready to delve my hand inside and pull out the mace I now always carry with me. I didn't dare to reply back; my legs working over-time to make it home.

"You can't run from me. Hehehehehe."

I wanted to call for help; to scream, but where ever I looked there was no one in sight. Why was there no body around? This is really freaking me out, along with the dissembodied voice following me like a bloody fly.

"Do you want to float, sweets? I can make you float," the voice sounded like it was next to my ear now. I gasped and covered the sides of my head in an attempt to mute the voice.

Usually a thirty minute walk home became half of that. I readied my keys in my hand as I neared the front door and quickly opened it, rushing inside. I forced the door shut and locked it behind me; my back coming to rest against the cold surface. My body slid down until I was resting on the floor, gasping for breath. I tried to calm myself, praying that whoever that was following me wasn't going to try and get inside tonight.

A good ten minutes passed and I was still on the floor, quiet as I could be for some reason. The sudden knock on my door made me flinch. "Who is it?" I called out, my voice almost caught in my throat.

"It's me, Bill."

Bill? Holy shit.

"Just a second. I'll open up." I pushed myself up from the floor, still a little shaken. I tried to calm myself as I unlocked the door and opened up, exposing myself to Bill who was leaning casually against the frame on the other side.

"Hey, its been a little while." Bill was the first to speak; his lips curling up into a smile.

"Hey," my voice came out soft and I glanced over his shoulder to the outside of my front lawn.

"You alright, [your name]? You seem a bit shaken."

I nodded and found myself rubbing my arms. Bill breathed through his nose, taking in the strong scent of fear that I couldn't smell. "I think I was being followed." I said.

He stepped inside and closed the door behind him. His emerald eyes examined me. "Are you hurt?"

"No. Just freaked out."

"I can tell, sweetheart." Bill touched the side of my arm gently, rubbing it affectionally. "Come sit down." He gestured over to the nearby sofa in the lounge.

I nodded quietly and let myself rest against his tall body as he helped me into the other room.