It has White walls but a giant chandelier hanging on the ceiling that is sparkling from all the candles on it. Not to mention the stairs leading upstairs are also pretty. If stairs can be pretty. I follow everybody outside to the backyard. There's a balcony leading down to the yard. The yard is almost as beautiful as inside the house. There are lights strung up above and tables with white table cloths and dozens of roses as centerpieces.

I stand on the balcony and look around. Butlers pass by carrying trays of food and various types of alcohol. A waiter walks by me and offers me a glass of champagne. I smile and thank the man as I grab a glass. I bring the glass to my lips and take a sip. The cold drink is sweet as it glides down my throat. I hadn't realized how nervous I was. Why am I so nervous? I take another sip trying to ease my nerves. I look around again and realize I don't know anyone. I continue to look around watching people mingle and drink. I suddenly feel lonely. Back home I was the life of parties. My friends and I went out all the time and I always have a great time surrounded by people. But even though I'm surrounded by people I'm alone. A wave of sadness hits me again. I sigh and take another sip of my drink. It had been a few minutes when I feel someone come up and stand next to me. Glancing over I see him. Luke Wilcox.

"You didn't walk here through the woods did you?" He asks raising an eyebrow. I eye him swirling my drink around.

"No, I took an uber," I tell Luke.

"Oh, good wouldn't want you getting lost again" he chuckles.

"Hey!" I shove him lightly, "that was a moment of stupidity and being in a new 'mysterious' town" I emphasize the word mysterious rolling my eyes playfully.

"Oh? This town's mysterious?" he questions. I fumble with my drink trying to think of a response.

"Well, yeah it's a small town in the middle of nowhere with strange people"

"So now the people are strange" he chuckles.

"Well, my neighbors are." I didn't mean to insult the people of the town but they are strange. "And the Harringtons, something seems off about them," I tell Luke.

"That's because the Harringtons are strange," Luke says looking annoyed. 

"You don't like the Harringtons?" I question. He looks over towards me leaning on the railing.

"The Harringtons and the Wilcoxes have never really gotten along. It goes all the way back to the beginning of this town when they were one of the few families around" he explains. "Anyway besides this town being strange what have you been up to?" Luke asks changing the subject.

"Just fixing up my father's old place. He didn't really take care of it and if I'm going to sell it then it needs to be fixed up" I tell Luke taking a sip of my drink.

"So you not staying in town?" he asks.

"No just long enough to fix the house up, then I'm handing it over to the relators and going back home"

"Hate the town that much?" he questions playfully.

"No, I just..." I pause to think of an answer "all my friends and my mother are back home. I couldn't imagine leaving there for more than a few weeks" I answer. 

"Well its been lovely talking with you Ms. Stirling but I should really go mingle and be a good host. I hope to see you around though" He takes my hand and kisses it. His hand was cold against mine as were his lips as they touched the back of my hand. I shiver. We lock eyes and he winks before turning away. I watch as he strides down the stairs, his broad shoulders filling out his suit. I rub my arms trying to warm up. Why was he so cold? Everything about this man intrigued me and I can't figure out why.

I spend the rest of the Ball wondering around and sipping champagne. A few people introduce themselves and we talk some. I even see my neighbors and the lady from the diner and we exchange pleasantries. However, I find myself getting distracted constantly looking for Luke and when I find him watching him and wondering how someone could have such a warm personality but be so physically cold. 

At 11:45 everyone begins to gather towards the center of the yard and champagne gets passed around. I follow and join everyone in the yard. People were no longer talking but whispering. I heard someone near me talking about a toast. Before a now it midnight rolls around and everyone begins toasting one another wishing niceties. There's a weird high surrounding the crowd with the full moon above and champagne in our veins. I smile looking up at the moon. It's beautiful. 

After a few minutes, everyone starts dispersing and the crowd thins. People make their ways to their cars Luke thanking people as they walk by.  I pull my phone out to get an uber but once the app comes up I see that there are no ubers available. The people here at the Ball must have gotten them all already. Great, how am I going to get home? I look around thinking of what to do. I could just walk home but it's dark and after midnight I could get kidnapped or killed. there is barely anyone left everybody having already left or getting into their cars to leave.

"Lost Ms. Stirling?" A voice asks next to me. I look and see that its Luke. 

"Its Esme and I'm not lost I just don't have a way home," I tell him.

"I can take you home" Luke offers.

"Are you sure?  I don't want to be an inconvenience" I ask.

"You wouldn't be inconveniencing me. I have nothing better to do. Plus wouldn't want you getting lost again" He smiles.

"Okay," I say accepting his offer to take me home.

"Follow me" He walks back into the house and I follow. He takes a few turns and I follow behind looking at his house as we go. He opens a door and I see that its a garage filled with a few cars, all expensive and all seemingly new. He takes a key out of his pocket and unlocks the white tesla walking towards it. I hesitate for a moment before going to the car. We both climb in and he starts the car and clicks a button to open the garage door. 

"It's only a few minutes to your house" Luke informs me driving out the garage. I hum in response realizing how tired I am. I stare out the window watching trees and houses pass by as Luke drives to my father's house.

"Esme... Esme" Luke shakes me lightly. I must have fallen asleep on the way. "We're here," He tells me. I look out the window and see fathers house.

"Thanks for driving me," I tell Luke smiling

"It was no problem. I don't mind driving attractive women" I blush at his comment turning away to hide the color that came to my cheeks. 

"Well goodnight Luke," I say as I climb out his car. Luke climbs out as well. 

"May I walk you to your door" He ask. I nod and he takes my arm the cold fro earlier returning. Suddenly we hear a wolf howl and a chill runs through my body. Luke grips me tighter and we walk up the steps and stop at the door.

"Thanks again," I say looking into his sparkling blue orbs as he holds me. He stares back and goosebumps rise on my skin. He leans in and kisses my cheek. His lips send an electric wave shoots through my body. He pulls away and I find myself wishing he had kissed my lips and not my cheek.

"Have a good night Esme," Luke says softly. Blushing I turn away and walk inside while Luke returns to his car. We glance back at each other and share a smile. I close the door and press myself into it. I feel myself longing for the man I barely know. I hear his car pull away and release the breath I didn't know I was holding. Why is this man having this effect on me? I hear another howl and push my self off the door shaking off the chill. I make my way upstairs yawning and yearning for my bed. I make it to my room taking off my dress and heels falling into bed. It doesn't take long before I'm whisked away into dreams.