Chapter 20 Ghost Story

Start from the beginning

"Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?"

There is a moment's pause before two of the agents turn and jab an electric rods into Steve's chest and my back. The moment of weakness triggered by the shock allows agents to grab onto Steve and shove him into the opposite wall while I am tackled against the doors. The agents begin scrambling with magnetic cuffs, locking one to Steve's wrist. He grunts and groans as he labors against the pull before finally tanking away and knocking two agents down. Steve moves to assist me only to get pinned by a second cuff.

In the struggle against my attackers my fist slams into the control panel and brings the elevator to a screeching halt.

Jack Rollins has his arms wrapped around me in a death grip from behind and no amount of struggling and burning seems to bother him. Kicking my feet up I manage to wrangle my legs around a second agent in front of me, throwing both Jack and him off their rhythm. We struggle, locked in the precarious position, until the third agent on me throws a cuff onto my right wrist and sticks me right to the ceiling of the elevator.

"Oh what the fuck, oh what the fuck!" I squeal and reach up to try an free myself while also trying to kick my attackers away.

Steve is not doing better then I am, Rumlow has him pinned and is using Steve's immobilization to shock the living daylights out of him. Steve lets out a choked shout and jams his elbow back into Rumlow before throwing a punch at another agent coming back for more. Steve jumps up and plants his feet on the wall, pulling back against the magnetic force with all his might, the momentum he creates manages to free him from the cuff and launch him into a backflip. He lands flawlessly and the cuff drops uselessly to the ground, giving him full use of his super soldier limbs to finish the rest of these soldiers off.

Fuming I jerk against the cuff, hating dangling from the ceiling by one wrist.

"Melt bitch!" I growl as my skin grows hotter and hotter against the metal. "Come on!" Finally my wrist falls through and I land directly on top of one nameless agent, making sure to throw a strong punch as I do. Inhaling deeply I jerk my head up and give a smoldering smirk to one of the final agents left standing.

Steve is facing off with Brock Rumlow and I Jack Rollins.

"Woh, big guy. I just want you to know, Cap, this ain't personal," Rumlow remarks before lunging at Steve with his electric rod. Jack, being a man of few words, says nothing before he charges me.

He hits me hard and body slams me to the ground despite my best efforts to stay on my feet. I'm not very heavy so getting me off my feet isn't difficult. Rage and fire flowing through my veins drives me to claw at Rollin's face but he grabs my wrists in a bruising grip. Rollins has some protection against burns and some locking mechanism in his gloves that has me so overpowered.

Steve dodges Rumlow's first jab, takes the second in the abdomen, and return with a swing of his own, the pair punching and blocking equally for a moment before Steve overpowers Rumlow and throws him into the ceiling. The man hits the ground and he's out cold.

"It kind of feels personal."

Anger wanes and suddenly icy fear takes its place.

The elevator disappears before my eyes, replaced by cement walls and Rollin's ugly mug with the smirking face of a devil.

The fear is overwhelming and despite my best efforts a wail escapes me as the horrifying realization that I am still there with him washes over. My body begins shaking violently and I shake my head, trying to force the images away and convince myself of the reality that he is dead and I killed him.