Chapter 4

"Ok, ill give you the tour." Ms.Turlin says, snapping straight into business as she walks pass me and into the room besides me with her heels clicking on the hard floor. I don't follow and stay sitting on the staircase. It feels as if someone has filled my bones with liquid steel that are weighing me down to the ground as they harden, ever so slowly. My chest feels hallow in the place where my heart use to be.Cain puts his hand on my shoulder but I can only feel the icy tendrils slowly wrapping around me. My eyes are glued to the same spot they laid on when my aunt shut the door to the orphanage on me, forever.

"Well, are you coming?" Ms.Turlin questions as she invades the spot my vision was focused onto. I shift my eyes slightly to look at her. She has almost redish-brownish short hair that sits in perfect waves on the top of her head. Slight wrinkles surround her face but mostly in the crow's feet around her eyes.

She looks at me with a smile that would cheer anyone one up, but my expression remains sullen and I don't reply, filling the air with an uncomfortable silence.

"You should go, you don't want get on her bad side yet if she has one." Cain informs me. I realise his hand is still on my shoulder and I shiver as the icy sensation intensifies.Cain and I have high-fived multiple times which allowed me to get use to the frozen temperature that appears under his touch , but I can only withstand it for so long.

I sigh and get up. Cain's hand leaves my shoulder and instantly the icy feeling leaves which invites a blast of the summer heat to consume me.
Ms. Turlin smiles once more before going back into the room,this time with me following.

She leads me through the house talking about each room and which is out of bounds and not. She talks about how every child has one chore they have to do once a week or more depending on what they choose. She says the chores are a way to earn responsibility and each time we do a good job we get two dollars pocket money to spend on the monthly trip to the mall. I smiled, laughed and nodded when I needed too but I mostly had my head down. Every time I passed other kids, they would stop, give me funny looks and start whispering harshly to their friends. Some even would turn around and swiftly walk the other way if I tried to wave.Ms.Turlin said not to worry and that they'll warm up to me,but I don't think it's because the are shy or nervous. It looks like that the are terrified. Can they see Cain?

I look over my shoulder to see Cain still walking behind me and he flashes me a smile. I smile back at him.

"I swear this has got to be the best orphanage. I mean you can earn money here!" He exclaims pointing at two kids around the age of seven drying the dishes that an older kid washed.

" Yeah, and it looks like ill be earning the money, not you." I say while trying to smirk but he pokes his tongue out and I start to laugh.

"Are you excited to try the pool?"

I nod my head vigorously," Of Course! I-"

"Penelope, who are you talking too? You shouldn't talk over someone while they're talking" Ms.Turlin interrupts.

"I was talking to..." I start, but she gives me a concerning look as she fiddles with the silver necklace on her neck.

"Never mind." I finish. She gives one last look before turning around and starting to walk,"Ill show you your bedroom."

She starts to go off about the rules like no boys allowed inside girl bedrooms and light off at nine thirty. I turn around to find Cain walking up next me with a sympathetic look. I give him a quick glare and then my eyes find a little boy no more than the age of four staring at me with wide eyes behind a doorway. He adjust his gaze to Cain who gives him a small wave despite the fact the boy won't be able to see him. But then, un expectantly, the boy gives out a small cry and bolts down a hallway.

I look at Cain confused but then the answer hits me like a rock.

I am not the only one.

That little boy can also see Cain.

******
Sorry I know it's not a dramatic cliff hanger to end the chapter and I know I haven't updated in so long. Exams are coming up do I've been studying and very busy. After exams ill have a lot more time on my hands so ill update again then.

Thank to anyone who has stayed with me.

Comment! Vote! Recommend!

-kaiya

Ps - the photo is Ms. Turlin and her actress is Julie Andrews.