Chapter 2

I stare at the figure in front of me.

A boy

His brown eyes pierce through my green ones.He is older than me, I can tell. He has broader shoulders than the kids in my class and his face tends to look more developed. His brown mop off hair compliments his smouldering features. He doesn't look too bad, I would of though he looked handsome if my mind wasn't in shock.

How did he get in here?How did a living boy get into this room without walking in?

He looks at me, waiting for me to talk.

" How d d did you get in here?" I stuttered.

He shrugs then points at the Ouija Board." You opened a 'door' and I went to it and I came here." He says not to sure himself.

"How did you , a living boy, come out of wood." I question. He took in a breath to answer when it was there, right there. A stream of light from the biggest candle he was sitting next to seemed to almost pass through his ear. His ear isn't gone you just can't see it that well, like a piece of wet tissue paper held up against the sunlight.His whole body seems like that.

"You are a living boy, aren't you?" I interrupt and I reach for his sleeve but my hand slips around nothing and an icy fire spreads through my fingertips.

"Ow!" I scream and I thrust my arm away and wrap my fingers in my shirt.

" I am sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't know it would happen." he says with panic. But his voice is soothing and my breathing slows down.

I look up at him and I can see the worried look on his face.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

I nod , realizing that the pain is gone.

He breaths out, relieved.But my breath stays in as the pieces fall into place.

''You're not a real boy...you're a ghost!" I answer in a hushed,surprised voice. He shifts his position slightly,uncomfortable.

"Yes you can say that." He replies in a quite voice.

"So how did you die?' I blurt,realizeng that wasn't probably the best thing to ask. But he takes a breath in and starts to speak.

"I don't know. I went to sleep one night and I guess I didn't wake back up.''He answers is a distraught tone.I realize that this is making him sad so I push my one hundred and one questions away and shut up.

For a while he doesn't say anything,and neither do I.My eyes wander around the room,taking in every detail.

"So why did you do it?" He asks me. I wasn't ready for the question and I look back at him,confused.

"Do what?"

"The Ouiji board." He says pointing to the board between us,"Why did you use it."

I look at the wooden board in front of me and sigh.

"My parents were on a flight recently that vanished. Gone. Poofed. No evidence of the plane; nothing. They are still searching,for the their one last hope,the black box. But that doesn't have much power left and when that dies,so does the search team. They'll give up and say what everyone else knows,that's its gone without a trace so they are most likely dead. Deceased.Their souls lifted from their missing bodies. So that's why I used the Ouija board, because if they were dead I might be able to talk to them. But it didn't work." I say, my voice cracking at the last sentence I turn away from the boy's gaze, blinking away the tears.

"Hey don't cry. It's OK. It doesn't take the first try to talk to them. It's OK." He says reassuringly. He reaches out to put a reassuring hand on my shoulder but he stops himself (realizing the pain that would bring to me) and drops his hand.

"Hey watch this!" He chirps. With a sniffle, I turn and watch him as he adjusts his position so he faces the biggest candle. He points his index finger and brings it to the flame. With quick swings he runs his finger through the flame.It doesn't catch on fire. After about five swipes he stops and turns to me.

"You want a try?" He smiles. I give him a disbelieving look.

"You're a ghost so it wouldn't hurt you,but it would hurt me."

He shakes his head"Trust me and try it. I promise it wont hurt you."

He smiles at me and what I can see of his eyes, have a glint of excitement. I smile and pack away the Ouija Board and place outside the ring of candles. Then I shuffle over until I am facing the same candle he was. I point by index finger,like he i, and bring it next to the flame.

"Now make sure you do it really quickly or else it will hurt," He informs. I nod at focus my attention back to the flame. And as quickly I can manage, I swipe my finger through the flame. I didn't feel anything. Did I even touch the flame? I do two more times,amazed that i couldn't feel anything. Then i start giggling as I do it more times.

"I use to do it all the time when I was alive." He says and I can hear the smile in his voice.

After a couple more swipes, I stop and turn towards the boy,smiling.

"What did you say your name was again?" I ask.

" Cain."

"Like the plant,your know surgar cain?."

"Yes like the plant." He laughs,'Whats yours?"

"Penelope." I answer

"Like the flower?"

"Yes,like the flower.' I laugh and he does as well.

"You know I never thought I would have an older boy that's a ghost as a friend." I say

"Are we friends?" He asks,surprised but hopeful as well.

I shrug," If you want,I wouldn't mind having a new friend."

He smiles and nods.

"Penelope!" Florence shout from somewhere in the house. I groan.

'That's my aunt, she is taking me on a trial for adoption." I explain.

He nods in understandment and I stand up from the spot I am sitting at. The key drops from my pockets and lands on the floor with a chime. Cain picks it up for me as I quickly replace the Ouija board where I found it. When we walk out of the room I lock the door and give Cain,who is taller that me, the key to put back on the door ledge.

As we walk down the hallway, I can hear my aunt talking to my uncle Joseph in a hushed angry, tone.

"That girl is bad luck,Joseph, my tarot cards showed a great danger coming if we don't do something quick." My aunt rages.

"Florence, I know she has done things, but she is only ten give the girl a break."

"No! Joseph, I can't do this. She has to go. I don't want anything to do with her and the drama of her parents. I dont wan't her to harm our family,especially Earnest." She continues.

I tune out,not wanting to hear anymore. I knew she wouldn't be able to take me.I knew I was going to end up at some orphanage. I slump back against the wall, gutted. I just hoped she would of let me stay.

"Don't worry. I had heaps of friends from orphanages,they all said they were't bad. Nothing like you hear in the movie and stories." Cain says. I nod.

"I knew she wouldn't be able to keep me. It was a matter of days before she snapped." I sigh loudly and I hadn't realized my relatives stopped talking," This sucks...Are you sure your friends liked the orphanage?"

Cain was about to answer until Florence interrupts our conversation.

"Penelope,who are you talking to?" She says with a look of confusion. I point to the right where Cain is standing

"To Cain, my new friend." I reply. Florence stops dead in her tracks and exchanged a very worried look with my uncle.

"Penelope,there is no one there." She croaks, her face pale with horror.

*****

Hey sorry I took so long. Unfortunately the net chapter wont come any faster >:(

Cain is Quinn Lord (that's him in the picture) if you have a better suggestion then tell me please.