Chapter 12

Thor felt like he was in a daze, he had stood frozen in his place when they arrived at the medical bay. (I am—) he wanted to say something, anything, but he felt his tongue get tied, it was as if the words got trapped inside his mouth— refused to get out.

"Fuck, I am not a doctor—" it was Tony's panicked voice that snapped him from his thoughts— but actually he didn't even realize what happened in these moments. 

'I failed him.' Simple words kept running in his mind, but they felt so heavy on Thor's heart— la heavy weight crushing  his chest— as he gazed at his brother's still body. The only thing  indicating that Loki was alive is the slow rise of his chest and the frown that’s etched on his face.

Thor wanted to remove that frown from his face, it shouldn't be there — his brother wasn't supposed to suffer because Thor was supposed to protect him, but —

He couldn't. If only he hadn’t left him alone. 

'I will always protect you, brother.' A whispered promise in the middle of the night as they snuggled under Thor's bed cover. 

'Me too, Thor.' 

Norns — he wanted to yell at the sisters of fate, wanted to rage  why his brother's fate was like that— why did he have to suffer? 

Why? 

He could hear the yells of Tony and Bruce (who had arrived as soon as the battle ceased, not bothered by the wave of dizziness that hit him after he transformed back to his body.) about how they should hurry up because they could lose Loki. 

And then the worst news was uttered from Bruce's mouth —

"I am sorry, Thor. We have done all we could." His eyes were shining with tears, but he tried to be strong in front of Thor. "He is in a coma now. And we don't know when he will wake up."

 (—or if he will wake up.) But Bruce didn't say it, wouldn’t say it, he didn't want to shatter Thor's heart because they couldn't save his brother. 

It was out of their hands because it was a magical coma — nothing medical could do anything to Loki, they just attached him to many devices that Thor didn't know their name. So, Thor brought Lady Eir from Asgard because these mortal devices weren't working, but she couldn't do anything. 

"All I can do is keep his body from shutting down." She had said when Tony asked her what she was doing, "It is an energy field to keep Prince Loki's vitals working."

Thor didn't leave his brother's side for the past three days, but he really didn't know how much time passed as he kept staring at his brother's form — the frown was still etched on his face and his body was still not moving. 

"Loki —" he said, cutting the silence of the medical bay. "I am sorry —" he whispered in despair. 

Oh, how many times he wanted to say these words to his brother — and he realized that he perhaps wouldn't say them to Loki.

"I am sorry, my Prince. But if he didn't wake up in a month." Lady Eir had said calmly, trying to keep the tremors in her voice. "We have to let go." She said softly, because she knows that they couldn't do anything to Loki — they tried everything. 

"No." Thor glared at her — how could she say something like that? 

Loki would fight this and come out of it alive because Thor knows his brother.  

He would be by his side again. 

"We won't do no such a thing."  He continued, looking at her as if daring her to say otherwise