CHAPTER 1 (Kai)

Beginne am Anfang

Now I live alone in a luxurious penthouse in Olympus Heights in Seoul. I'm currently attending my second year in EXO-L University, one of the top universities in Asia. I have no problem when it comes to money as I've been saving up for the last twenty years and I've been running grandfather and my parents' businesses. Plus I have access to all their various bank accounts. Quite a life.

As for my business, I've been managing it pretty well.

****

I find Mr. Snappy sitting on my bed, watching the TV as I step out of the bathroom dressed in black shirt and pajamas.

"You live alone?" Mr. Snappy asks without taking his eyes off the TV.

"Yeah," I reply, crossing the room and snatching my laptop from the study table. I switch it on immediately.

"Name?" I ask as I move to sit on the couch near the bed.

"Wu Yifan," Mr. Snappy tells me, still looking at the TV. "But I prefer Kris."

I quickly type in his name. I am about to ask the follow up questions, but he cuts me off.

"May I ask what you are doing?"

I glance up and find him looking at me. I notice his change of tone.

"Normal procedures," I answer, my voice businesslike. He raises an eyebrow. I sigh, exasperated. "I need a person's identity to make my job a lot easier, obviously. Of course, other information is needed depending on a person's requests. Besides that I need to keep a record, for future reference."

"I see." He nods and turns back to the TV.

"Age?"

"24."

After having him fill up all the necessary details, I reach for the remote and switch off the TV. I turn towards him, slipping my hands inside my pockets.

"What can I do for you then?" I ask, staring at him intently.

"I have only one request," Kris mutters. He pauses for a minute. I wait patiently. "I didn't have the chance to say goodbye to my girlfriend, Victoria Song."

"You had a cancer," I note. "Didn't she know?"

"No," he whispers, his face contorting in pain. "I couldn't tell her. It would be too much for her."

I stay silent for a moment. "What do you want me to do?"

"I was able to make a...farewell letter for her in my email," he mumbles. "I just want you to give it to her personally, to make sure that she reads it."

"Anything more?" I ask. Hmm. Mr. Snappy isn't snappy after all.

"Just tell her that I asked you to give it to her." His voice breaks a little at the end.

"I will," I promise.

"Thank you," he says and stands up. He holds his hand out to me.

I shake it gently, oblivious to his cold skin as I've shaken hundreds of dead hands already.

"You are welcome. I'm Kai by the way," I say, offering him a small smile.

Kris nods and releases my hand. He drifts towards the small balcony and slips easily through the glass doors. He pauses outside and turns to look at me for the last time.

"Don't get lost," I tell him.

"I won't," Kris assures me.

****

Victoria Song, Kris's girlfriend, is a senior in EXO-L University, fortunately. Well, it's a small world after all.

I park my silver Mustang carefully between a Subaru and Mazda, making them look like rubbish next to my car. I snicker inwardly. The moment Ford announced that they're releasing the 2014 Mustang, within 15 seconds, I've already preordered. Other than that, I still have an Audi R8 and a Mercedes Benz SLS AMG back at Olympus.