A Deck of Cards has More than 52

December 13th 1721, 1pm

As of late I live in these streets searching. It started with the royal family trickling down to the lowest of low. Every conversation had isn’t without the killer. I've been searching so long everyone has already told me what they know and more. Its nice to hear John’s dog is doing better, and I'll have to try Carol's recipe soon. Other than John and Sweet Carol no one else wants me here. Being unwanted further agitates the paranoia that etched itself into me. I guess after months of searching you learn people act on their own time, because of that you always have to be ready.

Like every other day, I end it with a usual routine trough the city to the docks. The walk is as always full of the same faces staring at me in disappointment. However it cheers me to hear ship bells ring while watching fishers pack their nets. The closer I am to the docks the better I feel. In my mind I already see the sun halfway submerged in the sea followed by seagulls wailing overhead.

December 13th 1721, 5pm

Finally the docks! However my beautiful sunset is partially blocked by a new face sitting at the piers end, staring out at the endless sea. He seems like an individual that’s always perplexed like myself, I can relate. I sat next to him, but he never looked my way. He only mumbled “I don't need to see to know a dog is drowning, son.”

I Pondered his words as I sat beside him and my heart begins to hammer at my chest. Such a hard truth to swallow, I reach into my coat pocket for some liquor to wash it down. I hold my flask in front of his face and say “here.” With his face still seaward, he raises both hands feeling it to gain an adequate grip on it. Once he realized what it was, a smile stretched from one dirty cheek the other.

Time with this stranger I know, is the only peace I've had since this all started. The flask's contents shielded us from the winter weather as we carried on from our past lovers to what we see in the world. One talk opened a new door for another subject, until we discussed events that changed our life. He began his story with a weighted tone that earned my full attention. However something sparked inside me and his voice faded until it ceased to meet my ears. A realization came over me: I'm not who I think I am.

December 14th 1721, 12am

I confined to myself after that, watching the moon light dance on the sea as the tide rises. Eventually a thought came through saying its time to go home. I look around to see night is in full bloom and the unknown man passed out next to me. I quietly stand and begin my walk home. Many choices I made too early, and many actions I didn’t take early enough. I ponder choice and change, as I do, I feel a cloak of mild happiness cover me. Its enough to make me ignore every face looking down on me as I walk home.

December 18th 1721, 6pm

Five days passed since I spoke to the insightful man at the docks. Since then I went back everyday looking for him, so I can tell him thanks for helping me understand that detective work isn’t my forte. However, I never found him. Never finding people suits me quite well. Sitting on my suitcase at the end of the pier waiting for my way out to arrive, I thought many times I came here to escape troubles that followed me. Now I will truly escape. I’m unsure what I will do for food, but I'll find something once I leave the city.

To my delight the ship will arrive after Sunset, one more time! I see John and Carol enjoying a walk along the shores pathway. “They make a good pair” I say aloud. However, I soon realize those are not the typical faces of a courting pair. This will be the only Sunset I’ll miss, since moving here. I have time to ask both of them what’s wrong before the ship arrives. Those two have always treated me nicely, as opposed to the rest of city goers. I rush toward them atop the dock’s squeaky planks. Before I go I have to know what happened