Chapter Four

"Sii può fare meglio, Grabriella!" she told me, scolding loudly and telling me that I could do much better than him.

I refused to listen. He was the one for me. I knew it. Brody was perfection, and I didn't want better. I just needed him. "Basta arrivare a conoscerlo, Mama, lui è incredibile." I told my mama to get to know him, and she would agree that he was amazing. It didn't go down so well.

Her nostrils flared, and she pointed a perfectly manicured finger towards me. "Non è italiano!"

"I don't care that he isn't Italian!" I yelled back at her and then realising my mistake as my papa raised an eyebrow. My parents didn't like it when I spoke English to them. They always preferred Italian at home. It was confusing at times, hard to remember.

"Grabriella , stai avendo rapporti sessuali con questo ragazzo?"

My cheeks burned flamingo pink as my mama asked if Brody and I were having sexual intercourse. I could have died of embarrassment especially since we were all sitting at the family dining table and eating dinner. My papa's nostrils flared, but he remained silent as mama awaited my answer.

Shaking my head furiously. "Dio mio! No!" Staring at my papa for some help, "Per favore. Basta incontrarlo una volta, vedrete che non è una cattiva persona. Lui non è come gli altri ragazzi." I may have told my papa that Brody wasn't like all other boys, and if he would just meet him once, he would see that for himself.

My papa set his fork down and rubbed his temples. He had always been handsome, extremely caring and kind but, one was to never cross him. He had a wild temper, and I always locked my bedroom door when he had been having a bad day. "Gabriella, si sposa quando si è eighteen anni si può rimanere amici con questo ragazzo, ma questo è tutto. Fine della discussion."

I stared in disbelief. How could he suggest that I just stay friends and marry someone else when I turn eighteen? I didn't reply back, knowing it was the end of discussion. I sat and ate in silence.

Dinner was extremely quiet after the embarrassing conversation. They assumed my little romance would be put to bed and ended in the morning. What they didn't know wouldn't hurt them. I wasn't going to end things just because they were so against us.

I was a typical sixteen-year-old girl with a massive crush on the popular boy. Rebellion was new to me, and he was definitely worth rebelling for.

Facing Brody the next morning was extremely nerve-wracking. What if he broke up with me over it? I didn't want to face him. Petty, I know. He waited for me each morning, my Mama would drop me off to school and leave right away. Today, I knew she was waiting until I walked inside, watching to see if I spoke to this boy she had banned me from seeing. Yes, this morning on the drive to school she laid down the law and banned me from dating. I was to remain pure for my husband on our wedding night... my Italian husband.

My sisters had done that and had my mama as she liked to remind me. Although, they were all married to older men. Brody and I were the same age, but I hadn't even thought about sex yet. It was the furthest thing from my mind. I was only getting used to hand holding.

Keeping my head down as I walked inside, I went to my locker, beginning to put away my books when I felt his arms wrap around my body from behind. It still felt surreal that this was happening. That he liked me back. "Hey you, I must have missed you this morning."

"No." I groaned, blushing hard. "I was maybe avoiding you." I said regretfully as I turned around to face him.

Brody was in his usual T-shirt and shorts, always wearing running shoes. He was athletic to say the least, loved running around with a ball and kicking it on lunch break, in between talking to me. I'd sit and watch him with Cathy, who still couldn't believe Brody and I were the schools new "it" couple.